Southwestern and California Styles
- Indigenous Styles and the Bungalow. // American Houses: A Field Guild to the Architecture of the Home;2004, p339
The article presents information on some indigenous architectural designs that emerged during the 19th century. The new styles emphasized the horizontal, with low rooflines and deep overhangs, resulting in a uniquely American silhouette on the skyline. The houses were finished largely in natural...
- Designer-Inspired Roofs. Chang, Chaya // Qualified Remodeler;Jun2007, Vol. 33 Issue 6, p64
The article discusses the different architectural roofing materials for costumers who want a unique and designer-look for their roofs. The manufacturers have produced variety of roofing materials such as tiles, synthetic materials and asphalt shingles which offers more dimensional texture...
- 44. Downtown, South. Gebhard, David; Winter, Robert // Architectural Guidebook to Los Angeles;2003, p266
This chapter describes the architectural design of several buildings located downtown south of Los Angeles, California. The Hispanic-inspired Los Angeles Herald-Examiner Building is decorated with colorful domes, white walls and tile roofs. The Cohn-Goldwater Building is a steel-reinforced...
- THE ARCHAIC ROOF TILES AT ISTHMIA A RE-EXAMINATION. Hemans, Frederick P. // Hesperia;Jul-Sep89, Vol. 58 Issue 3, p251
The article focuses on the results of the study which re-examines the roof tiles at the Archaic temple at Isthmia, Greece. It addresses the similarities on the construction of the temple's tiled relevant to Greek structures between Isthmia and Corinth. As part of the study, the fragments of the...
- BDP's academy for everyone. // Building Design;1/21/2005, Issue 1657, p4
Reports on the construction of the Marlowe Academy in Ramsgate, Kent. Identification of art facilities included in the construction; Specifications of the ideas of the design; Expected completion date of the work.
- WHAT'S ON THE WEB. // Building Design;6/18/2010, Issue 1921, p2
The article offers updates on various issues in Great Britain, including the opening of the London Festival of Architecture.
- High Hopes in Hong Kong. Liauw, Laurence // Architectural Record;Nov2010, Vol. 198 Issue 11, p31
The article discusses competing architectural plans for the West Kowloon Cultural District (WKCD) in Hong Kong, China, by architecture firms FOSTER + partners, REM Koolhas/OMA, and Rocco Design Architects.
- Symbiotic City, Xiasha, Hangzhou, China. // Architecture Australia;Jan/Feb2011, Vol. 100 Issue 1, p102
This article provides site plans, architectural perspectives and a brief information about the Symbiotic City project in Hangzhou, China by Brearley Architects and Urbanists and Steve Whitford, which was awarded honourable mention at the 2010 Australia Architecture (AA) Prize for Unbuilt Work.
- Good Fences Make Good Neighbours. // Architecture Australia;Jan/Feb2011, Vol. 100 Issue 1, p106
This article provides architectural site plans and brief information about the "Good Fences Make Good Neighbours" fencing project in Rowville by Hong Yi, which was awarded special mention at the 2010 Australia Architecture (AA) Prize for Unbuilt Work.