Extreme Academic Architecture
- embracing our own independence. Kontos, G. Jason // Classic American Homes;Jul2001, Vol. 27 Issue 3, p4
Introduces articles on architecture and design, which highlight the evolution of the United States, not only from its multifaceted roots, but also how the spirit of independence it was based on prospers and grows. Featured homes; Inspirations behind the architectural designs of the homes.
- One Site, Three Schemes. Schmertz, Mildred F. // Architectural Digest;Aug2003, Vol. 60 Issue 8, p72
Focuses on three architectural designs for a property in Westchester County, New York. Reasons for creating three different designs for the same plot; Similarity between the three designs.
- Editor's Notes. F., M. S. // Design Quarterly;1987, Issue 138, p1
The article discusses various reports published within the issue including one by Gwendolyn Wright analyzing architectural style, cultural and political reality, another one by Lois Craig looking at housing designs in the U.S., and by Michael Sorkin about dwelling machines.
- Tech talk. Russell, James S. // Architectural Record;Jun1999, Vol. 187 Issue 6, p56
Highlights the symposium `Architecture with Technology: A New Synthesis,' at the Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT) in Chicago, Illinois. Structural engineer with Buro Happold, Peter Heppel's demonstration of a broadcast tower thatw ould rotate with the breeze; Cellular membrane structures...
- Drawing: The Creative Link. Gruzdys, Sophia A. // Architectural Record;Jan2002, Vol. 190 Issue 1, p64
Focuses on the incorporation of digital technology into the architectural process in the United States. Description of innovative architects; Importance of drawing in the architectural design; Strategies of drawing.
- Briefs. // Architectural Record;May1994, Vol. 182 Issue 5, p19
Reports on developments in architectural design. 1994 Architecture Firm Award to Bohlin Cywinski Jackson; Planned construction of a Blockbuster Park near the Everglades, Florida; Management changes; Revision of the `Architect Overseas Practice Standards'; Obituaries.
- Chinese UI students seek design balance. Kirk, Joni // Journal of Business (10756124);6/17/2010, Vol. 25 Issue 13, pA15
The article reports on move of Chinese students at the University of Idaho in Moscow to seek design balance for various economic developments in China as it is wiping out the cultural history of the country.
- Modern Trends. // American Houses: A Field Guild to the Architecture of the Home;2004, p355
The article presents information on new architectural trends witnessed in the U.S. during the 19th century. Traditional architectural styles could not accommodate the sudden requirements of industry, commerce, and a restive, growing population. With growing U.S. economy, the new architecture was...
- Finding an open space for the exercise of democracy in New York's
dense urban fabric. Sorkin, Michael // Architectural Record;Oct2004, Vol. 192 Issue 10, p85
This article discusses the architectural design of New York. In city after city, certain places have become linked to these gatherings, institutionalized by repeated use. While the street is the bedrock of the popular "right to the city" â€” the conduit of association â€” it is only...