The Spanish Colonial Hearths
- Colonial tome. Maurer, David // Colonial Homes;Feb95, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p24
Features American Colonial houses in the United States. Furnishings; Design.
- Dutch style in America. // Colonial Homes;Jun97, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p52
Discusses the evidences of cultural and aesthetic impact of the Netherlands on Colonial architecture, decorative furniture and customs in the 17th and 18th centuries and of the 21st century. Distinguishing features of the stone houses built by the Dutch settlers in the Hudson Valley and New...
- Survivors from the 17th century. Massey, James C.; Maxwell, Shirley // Old House Journal;Sep/Oct94, Vol. 22 Issue 6, p56
Describes houses with 17th century styles. Distinguishing characteristics of a medieval house; Brick as most common material used in 17th-century houses in Virginia; Absence of grand front entrances; Porch extensions for a touch of formality; Most common type of house in New England;...
- Colonial health care. Clancy, Jane // Colonial Homes;Feb95, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p48
Features several hospitals and health care facilities in the United States with a colonial design. Pennsylvania Hospital in Philadelphia; Apothecary Shop in Alexandria, Virginia.
- Putting Dutch Colonials under one roof. Massey, James C.; Maxwell, Shirley // Old House Journal;Jul/Aug94, Vol. 22 Issue 5, p18
Describes Dutch Colonial houses to answer readers' question. Features of an early-20th-century Dutch colonial; Paired windows; Gambrel roof with continuous dormer; Craftsman influence on a Dutch Colonial house; Top-heavy windows; Untapered columns; Dutch Colonial house representing the early...
- PORTFOLIO FOR THE HOME. Pollard, Maura // Classic American Homes;Jun/Jul2000, Vol. 26 Issue 3, p18
Features several colonial home furnishings available in the United States as of June 2000. Bench from McKinnon and Harris; Tray from Charleston Gardens; Arbor from Walpole Woodworkers.
- On the Road. BETSKY, AARON // Architect;Aug2011, Vol. 100 Issue 8, p88
The article discusses the roadside rest stops of Minnesota in terms of their unique type of vernacular architecture, focusing on their surroundings, architectural design in the Colonial style, and their amenities.
- Comfort & Class. POLSON, MARY ELLEN // Old-House Interiors;Jan2013, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p38
The article looks at the Tudor-influenced Colonial Revival house, the Hapgood house in Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, which features the dining area, living room, and kitchen.
- Shingle style. // Old House Journal;Jul/Aug99, Vol. 27 Issue 4, p59
Discusses the different shingle-style houses in the United States popular in the late 1800s to early 1900s. Description of a shingle-style house; Examples of different shingle-style interpretations; List of places to visit.