- Opera GR Still Hitting The High Notes. Czurak, David // Grand Rapids Business Journal;12/17/2001, Vol. 19 Issue 51, p1
Reports on the performances to be held at the Opera Grand Rapids in 2001. History of the opera; Profile on director John Peter Jeffries; Business performance of the opera. INSET: Opera Grand Rapids.
- No more dosh for fat Italians in tights. Charles, Lynton // New Statesman;11/07/97, Vol. 126 Issue 4359, p11
Focuses on the crisis plaguing British opera. Opera owners' demands to culture and sports ministers; Plan to give the Royal Opera a lot of money; Possibility of forcing the Royal Opera and the English National Opera to share a venue.
- A Milanese Parsifal. Porter, A. // New Yorker;1/20/92, Vol. 67 Issue 48, p59
Presents La Scala's 1991-92 cartellone: one Rossini opera, one standard Donizetti, one standard Verdi, one early Puccini, five transalpine operas and just one contemporary work, under the directorship of Riccardo Muti. Began with `Parsifal'; Lists operas in order; Details `Parsifal'; St....
- Mann and his music. Porter, A. // New Yorker;6/8/92, Vol. 68 Issue 16, p71
Discusses the performances and creation of two operas that were based on German writer Thomas Mann's works: `Death in Venice' and `Mario und der Zauberer' (Mario and the Magician), composed by Benjamin Britten. Mann noted that Britten could translate his fiction into music; Goethe believed...
- Diverse dramas. Porter, A. // New Yorker;6/22/92, Vol. 68 Issue 18, p105
Discusses the number of diverse musical dramas that theater goers can still enjoy even though the official opera season recently ended this year in April 1992. Vivaldi's `La Senna Festeggiante'; Darius Milhaud's centenary falls in September 1992; Frank Martin's `Le Vin Herbe'; Conrad Cummings'...
- Musical events: Sorrows and beggars. Griffiths, Paul // New Yorker;8/31/92, Vol. 68 Issue 28, p76
Discusses several classical operas that have been and/or are still being performed in the US that may of interest to readers. Hans-Jurgen von Bose's piece of `The Sorrows of Young Werther,' adapted from the Romantic novel of the German writer Goethe at the Santa Fe theater in Calif.; `Der...
- Those twilit gods. Disch, Thomas M. // New Leader;06/02/97, Vol. 80 Issue 10, p18
Opinion. Presents the author's view about operas. Accounts of the operas he had reviewed; Plots of the operas; Significance of the plots; Characters of the operas; Its elements; Performances of the actors; Account of the criticisms he made on the operas.
- A night at the opera. Phillips, Debra // Entrepreneur;Oct96, Vol. 24 Issue 10, p32
Reports that the opera is considered one of the hottest tickets in American entertainment. Start of trend in 1990; Popularity with audiences weaned on music of Pearl Jam and Nirvana.
- Desire under the El. Davis, P.G. // New York;8/19/91, Vol. 24 Issue 32, p52
Reviews two New York music events. The City Opera's new production of `Cavalleria Rusticana' and `Pagliacci'; Roger Norrington's recent Mozart Experience weekend at Lincoln Center.