First Quarter on Unsteady Ground
- The 2009 Report on Bookstores: World Market Segmentation by City. Parker, Philip M. // City Segmentation Reports;1/ 3/2010, pN.PAG
A report that summarizes the economic potential for major cities in more than 200 countries around the globe for bookstores for the year 2009 is presented. It provides latent demand or potential industry earnings (PIE) estimates for the product for each city, including the percent share the city...
- Bookstore Sales Rise 1%. // Publishers Weekly;2/18/2008, Vol. 255 Issue 7, p9
The article reports on the sales increase experienced by bookstores in the U.S. in 2007. The roller-coaster ride the bookselling segment has been on in recent years continued into 2007, with preliminary estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau showing that bookstore sales increased 1.1% last year,...
- January Sales Plunge. // Publishers Weekly;4/11/2005, Vol. 252 Issue 15, p20
Reports on a decline in bookstore sales in 2005 according to preliminary estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau.
- BOOK MARKETING EXPERT SAYS STICK TO THE 2 PERCENT SOLUTION. // Souvenirs, Gifts, & Novelties;Jan2005, Vol. 44 Issue 1, p137
Highlights the speech given by Avin Mark Domnitz, president of the American Booksellers Association, regarding the 2% Solution marketing method. Decline in profit of independent bookstores in 1994; Average profitability of bookstores in 2003; Ways to approach profitability in bookstores.
- Independents Trade On Their Differences: We're Not A New York Times Bestseller Store' Holt, Karen Jnekins // Book Publishing Report;12/9/2002, Vol. 27 Issue 48, p2
Focuses on the sales performance of independent booksellers during the holiday season in the U.S. Factors contributing to the unfavorable sales performance of retailers; Trend in book sales; Popularity of brand name author novels.
- Smaller bookstores write own stories. Grant, Elaine X. // Crain's New York Business;05/01/2000, Vol. 16 Issue 18, p16
Reports on the success of smaller bookstores in the United States. Services offered; Specialty in niches; Focus on bookstores in New York City; Sales of mystery bookstore Murder Ink in 1999; Books of Wonder's concentration on the children's market; Level of service provided by the bookstore A...
- Tucson-area bookstores. Yager, Tanya // Inside Tucson Business;06/07/99, Vol. 9 Issue 11, p16
Ranks the 18 biggest bookstores in Tucson, Arizona, for 1999 based on their number of book titles in stock. Bookman's Used Books, Music & Software; Cover Story; Borders Books, Music & Cafe.
- THE JOYS OF SELLING. Slopen, Beverly // Books in Canada;Jun76, Vol. 5 Issue 6, p8
Focuses on events concerning bookselling in Canada. Problems in running businessman Norm Lewis' bookshop called Norm's Territorial Book and Stationary Limited; Difference in marketing strategy between businessmen Jack Cole and Louis Melzack, owners of Coles and Classic Book Shops; View of Barry...
- ANOTHER CHAPTER. Scott, Jason // Central Penn Business Journal;11/18/2011, Vol. 27 Issue 47, p3
The article reports on Harrisburg, Pennsylvania's Midtown Scholar Bookstore which has launched their first book as part of the newly inaugurated Midtown Scholar Press in November 2011.