RISK SUMMARY: SLOVAKIA
- Separate debt panel plans cast doubt on possible deal. Needham, Vicki // Hill;11/17/2010, Vol. 17 Issue 119, p24
The article reports on the release in 2010 of separate debt panel plans of Jan Schakowsky and Alice Rivlin, who are both members of the fiscal commission of U.S. President Barack Obama.
- RISK SUMMARY: KYRGYZSTAN. // Emerging Europe Monitor: Russia & CIS;Dec2007, Vol. 11 Issue 12, p9
The article summarizes the political, economic and business risks in Kyrgyzstan. It cites the prevalent lack of political transparency and high levels of corruption in the country. It forecasts a budget deficit of KGS300 million by year-end 2007, as well as a rise in government spending towards...
- Global Political Outlook. // Uganda Defence & Security Report;Q4 2010, p10
The article presents the Business Monitor International Ltd.'s (BMI) global political outlook. It notes that the intention of the governments to reduce budget deficits in an attempt to prevent debt crises encourages much of the domestic political risk. It also contends that the key sources of...
- Land Redistribution A Major Test For Lugo. // Latin America Monitor: Southern Cone Monitor;Dec2008, Vol. 25 Issue 12, p7
The article offers an outlook for the land distribution issue in Paraguay in 2008. According to Business Monitor International (BMI), President Fernando Lugo faces a major political challenge to prevent an escalation of social unrest as landless farmers become increasingly militant in their...
- Too Many to Fail? Evidence of Regulatory Forbearance When the Banking Sector Is Weak. Brown, Craig O.; Dinç, I. Serdar // Review of Financial Studies;Apr2011, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p1378
This article studies bank failures in twenty-one emerging market countries in the 1990s. By using a competing risk hazard model for bank survival, we show that a government is less likely to take over or close a failing bank if the banking system is weak. This Too-Many-to-Fail effect is robust...
- Obama's Bizarre Attacks on Biz Av. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;7/11/2011, Vol. 173 Issue 25, p58
The article discusses U.S. president Barack Obama's criticism of the business aviation industry. Obama called for the removal of tax breaks for the owners of corporate jets, which the article interprets to mean aircraft depreciation rates, in order to end federal budget deficits. The article...
- PHILIPPINES BUSINESS FORECAST REPORT. // Philippines Business Forecast Report;2014 Q4, p1
The article presents a business forecast report for the Philippines from 2014 to 2023, including the moderation of budget deficit forecasts, the maintenance of low long-term political risk ratings due to resilient Islamic and Maoist insurgencies and maritime dispute with China.
- SLOVENIA. // Emerging Europe Monitor: South East Europe Monitor;Nov2011, Vol. 18 Issue 11, p7
The article presents the risk summary of Slovenia on issues including the budget cut, the weakness in domestic demand dynamics and the meeting of Blaz Kavcic, president of Slovenia's National Council and Xi Jinping, Chinese vice president, to discuss relations between two countries.
- Property rights becomes hot battle. Shillinger, Kurt // Christian Science Monitor;3/2/95, Vol. 87 Issue 66, p4
Reports on the protection of property rights in the US. Example of John Bronczyk and Josephine Bronczyk; Debate in the House on March 2, 1995.