News @ a glance
- The Essential Role of Acupuncture, Herbs and Related Therapies in HIV Care. Burke, Adam // American Acupuncturist;Fall2005, Vol. 33, p6
Discusses the role of acupuncture, herbs and related therapies in the treatment of HIV-infected individuals. Side effects of highly active antiretroviral therapies; Growth of complementary and alternative medicine; Issues that should be addressed by individuals dealing with HIV-related health...
- Drug for testing HIV wasting gets early approval. // FDA Consumer;Nov96, Vol. 30 Issue 9, p2
Introduces the injectable drug Serostim approved by Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat wasting in people with Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) infection. Signs and symptoms of patients with HIV infection; Effects of Serostim drug to patients.
- Screening Alternative Therapies for HIV. Reeves, Cherie; Calabrese, Carlo; Standish, Leanna J.; Bain, Shoshanah // AIDS Patient Care & STDs;Feb1998, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p87
Focuses on the screening of alternative medicine for effectiveness in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) disease which is the mission of the Bastyr University AIDS Research Center. Definition of alternative medicine; Information on the observational study implemented by the center to address...
- The use of alternative therapies for HIV infection: Implications for patient care. Carwein, Vicky L.; Sabo, Carolyn E. // AIDS Patient Care & STDs;Apr97, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p79
Describes patterns of usage of alternative therapies by HIV-infected people. Most commonly used alternative therapies; Issues related to patient care.
- Host genes and HIV: The role of the chemokine receptor gene CCR5 and its allele (...32 CCR5). McNicholl, Janet M.; Smith, Dawn K. // Emerging Infectious Diseases;Jul-Sep97, Vol. 3 Issue 3, p261
Describes the role of allelic susceptibility to and disease course of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection. Number of persons who have died of AIDS in the late 1970s; How studies of the effect of host genes on susceptibility to HIV infection were facilitated; Details on chemokine...
- Perinatal HIV: Decline, but disparities persist. // AIDS Alert;Mar2010, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p31
The article discusses the disparities in perinatal HIV infections in the different ethnic groups in the U.S.
- The Essential Role of Acupuncture, Herbs and Related Therapies in HIV Care. Burke, Adam // American Acupuncturist;Fall2007, Vol. 41, p26
The article focuses on the role of acupuncture, herbs and related therapies in HIV care. It explains the side effects of using highly active antiretroviral treatments (HAART) for HIV. It discusses the results of various studies suggesting that complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) can be...
- Diving Into Life with GREG LOUGANIS. Roderick, Kyle // Life Extension;Sep2012, Vol. 18 Issue 9, p89
The article profiles the health regimen of former Olympic diver Greg Louganis, who was diagnosed as HIV-positive in 1988. Louganis has maintained his health and reduced the amount of the virus in his blood to undetectable levels with highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) and alternative...
- Alternative therapy. // Presidents & Prime Ministers;Mar/Apr98, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p33
Reports that an international study found that an effective alternative to the year-long regimen prescribed for persons co-infected with human immuno-deficiency virus (HIV) and tuberculosis (TB), is a two-month course of therapy to prevent active TB. Health organizations and centers who...