- REFURBISHMENT AT RUNSHAW COLLEGE. // Caterer & Hotelkeeper;12/13/2013, Vol. 203 Issue 4807, p45
The article reports on the completed refurbishment of the staff restaurant of Runshaw College in Lancashire, England, with the facility posting a 20 percent increase in income and the number of customers served rising per day from 129 to 180.
- Green and Proud. // FoodService Director;8/15/2008, Vol. 21 Issue 8, p14
The article reports on the planned opening of the $18-million Ram's Horn at the Commons at Colorado State University during the fall semester. Deon Lategan, director of residential dining services, says the building was built with the environment in mind. He said that they are using 100% green...
- Breaking a New Common Ground. // FoodService Director;4/15/2008, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p14
The article reports on the opening of the dining Commons at Bates College in Lewiston, Maine after 18 months of construction. According to Director of Dining Services Christine Schwartz, the new $20 million facility was necessary because of the small size of the former dining center. The new...
- The Renovation Game: Why the Revolving Door Won't Close. Lefebvre, Joanna // Food Management;Mar2006, Vol. 41 Issue 3, p40
The article discusses Purdue University's long-term renovation strategy. The renovation plans to increase flexibility to respond to studentsâ€™ expectations in food choices; move away from the traditional institutional college cafeteria; provide food service comparable to the commercial...
- Seeing is Believing. Schilling, Becky // FoodService Director;5/15/2008, Vol. 21 Issue 5, p68
The article describes the design of the dining halls at the University of New Hampshire in Durham, New Hampshire. David May, assistant vice president of business affairs, operates 12 display cooking stations, with cuisines ranging from pizza to stir fries to a Mongolian grill. He states that...
- Larry Gates. // FoodService Director;10/15/2010, Vol. 23 Issue 10, p36
An interview with Larry Gates, director of dining services at Eastern Michigan University, about how he recruited students to design a consistent look for the department's kiosk locations, is presented. He explains how he became involved with the design students. He also describes the design...
- Rethinking Campus Foodservice Design. Johanson, Jennifer // Contract;Mar2014, Vol. 55 Issue 2, p70
The article discusses foodservice design on college campuses. Particular focus is given to examples drawn from the portfolio of the author's design firm, EDG. The author emphasizes the importance of transparency and sustainability in campus foodservice design and suggests the use of interactive...
- meal plan. Akkam, Alia // Hospitality Design;Dec2011, Vol. 33 Issue 10, p35
The article evaluates the design of campus dining facilities at colleges including Troy University in Alabama designed by Greg O'Neal, the University of California designed by the Carrier Johnson + Culture firm, San Diego, and the University of Rochester in New York designed by Mancini Duffy.
- The Fight for the Freshman 15. Laughlin, Lauren Silva // Fortune;9/2/2013, Vol. 168 Issue 4, p16
The article looks at dining and food services on U.S. university and college campuses as of 2013, reporting on the significant role of private equity-owned food service company Aramark and citing its exclusive contracts with many colleges and concerns raised by students and advocacy groups.