FATHER'S TRAGEDY LEADS TO DONATIONS
- Learning more from Golden Guardian. Smither, J. L. // Crisis Response Journal;2011, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p66
The article discusses the author's insight on the lessons learned from the City and Port of Oakland Scenarios. It suggests that jurisdictions that include an airport, train station, or other transit facility should be aware of threats, should have active emergency plans, and should test these...
- Mass shootings highlight need for responder behavioral-health resources. Arnoff, Alisa // Fire Chief Expert Blog;12/21/2012, p1
The article suggests providing first responders with the emotional and psychological support needed to confront demons they face. Individuals suffering from an emotional or psychological condition are described to be unwilling to request assistance therefore a need for leadership to consider...
- AI to the rescue. Firth, Niall // New Scientist;5/21/2011, Vol. 210 Issue 2813, p17
The article discusses the development of artificially intelligent software that could help direct first responders to victims of terrorist attacks or natural disasters. Topics include an overview of conventional emergency preparedness, a training simulation that helps emergency services adapt...
- Psychological First Aid. Ruzek, Josef I.; Brymer, Melissa J.; Jacobs, Anne K.; Layne, Christopher M.; Vernberg, Eric M.; Watson, Patricia J. // Journal of Mental Health Counseling;Jan2007, Vol. 29 Issue 1, p17
Psychological First Aid (PFA) consists of a systematic set of helping actions aimed at reducing initial post-trauma distress and supporting short- and long-term adaptive functioning. Designed as an initial component of a comprehensive disaster/trauma response, PFA is constructed around eight...
- THE SITING OF EMERGENCY SERVICE FACILITIES WITH WORKLOAD CAPACITIES AND BACKUP SERVICE. Pirkul, Hasan; Schilling, David A. // Management Science;Jul1988, Vol. 34 Issue 7, p896
By the very nature of the demand that they serve, emergency service systems require that timely service be readily available to those who need it. Yet, the distinct possibility exists that the closest facility will be occupied with another call for service, and when this primary responding unit...
- JPSO LASER Unit Enjoys An Outstanding Reputation For Jobs Well Done. Lee, Harry // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);9/13/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 11, p44
Features the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office Land-Air-Sea Emergency Rescue (LASER) Unit, Louisiana. Support given by the Jefferson Parish voters; Expertise of members; Visibility of the work of the LASER to the public during emergency.
- Buried alive, part 2: Rescue and lessons learned. Collins, Larry // Fire Engineering;Dec99, Vol. 152 Issue 12, p71
Part II. Narrates the rescue operation made on a contract worker engulfed within tons of soil in the County of Los Angeles, California. Role of cooperation in the success of a rescue operation; Equipment necessary in conducting rescue operations; Recommendations for formal emergency trench...
- PRE-DISASTER PLANNING. // NATO's Nations & Partners for Peace;2005, Vol. 50 Issue 1, p105
Discusses the importance of pre-disaster planning in effective disaster response. Factors in which the effectiveness of disaster assistance depends; Subjects covered in concluding agreements in order to reduce administrative impediments to timely and effective emergency assistance.
- Giving Thanks. CIAMPO, MICHAEL N. // Fire Engineering;Nov2010, Vol. 163 Issue 11, p124
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience of responding to call to help the victims of a highway traffic accident the night before Thanksgiving.