R.I. Club Fire: 5 Years Later
- Event Safety lapses In Romania, China Take Tragic Turns. // FRONT of HOUSE;Nov2015, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p5
The article reports on the fire caused by a pyro stage effects at the Colectiv nightclub in Bucharest, Romania during a concert by the heavy metal band Goodbye to Gravity, resulting to a structural collapse, deaths and injuries.
- Sprinkler call renewed on 5th anniversary of nightclub fire. // Contractor Magazine;Mar2008, Vol. 55 Issue 3, p1
The article focuses on the fire protection campaign of the Society of Fire Protection Engineers (SFPE) in preparation of the 5th year anniversary of the Station Nightclub fire in Bethesda, Maryland. The fire on February 20, 2003 is described as one of the tragic nightclub fires in the U.S....
- Rhode Island adopts new fire safety code for places of assembly. // Fire Engineering;Aug2003, Vol. 156 Issue 8, p56
Focuses on the safety code adopted by the state of Rhode Island that bans the use of pyrotechnics in facilities. Requirement of the safety code; Update of the fire safety code; Authority of the local marshals to visit nighclubs during operating hours and to immediately close down those in...
- Tragedy again pushes sprinkler retrofits. Mader, Robert P. // Contractor Magazine;Mar2003, Vol. 50 Issue 3, p1
Fire sprinkler industry officials are reluctant to take advantage of the fire break-out tragedy which took place on Feb. 20, 2003 at The Station nightclub to promote sprinklers. "If there were sprinklers in this building, we would not be here right now" were the comments of fire chiefs at the...
- Fatal fireworks. // South Asian Post;2/25/2010, p18
The article reports on the fireworks display-related accident in China during the lunar New Year Holiday which caused death to 35 people and millions of dollars of damages.
- First, the Safety Spiel. McGinn, Daniel // Newsweek;3/24/2003, Vol. 141 Issue 12, p9
Discusses the precautions that club owners are taking following the fire at a club in Rhode Island. Decision of club owners to tell the audience where the exits are located; Generators that will keep the lights burning in an emergency; Importance of taking precautions.
- Looking for Answers in the Ashes. Cannon, Angie // U.S. News & World Report;2/16/2004, Vol. 136 Issue 6, p32
Offers a look at a fire at a Rhode Island night club that killed one hundred and injured two hundred more in 2003. Imposition of a new fire code in Rhode Island by Governor Donald Carcieri; Indictments that have been issued; Blame placed on night club owners Jeffrey and Michael Derderian;...
- Non-Working Alarms in 70% of Home Fires. // Fire Chief;Jan2005, Vol. 49 Issue 1, p15
Focuses on the results of a survey on home-fire fatalities in the U.S. Percentage of households with incompetent smoke alarms; Number of home-fire deaths; Impetus for the increasing number of fire fatalities.
- Dying for a Smoke. // Fire Chief;Jul2005, Vol. 49 Issue 7, p13
Reports on concerns over the careless smoking which become a lethal fire problem in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Rate of national fire death in from residential smoking; Efforts to reduce the number of fatalities attributed to residential fires caused by smoking; Launch of a new public education...