NEWS IN BRIEF
- Poor culture fosters bullies. // BRW;4/22/2010, Vol. 32 Issue 15, p39
The article offers information on the issue of workplace bullying, in which it states that the employers should take the blame because they are the ones who allow such culture to exist.
- HR matters! Edwards, Gareth // Credit Management;Sep2006, p36
The article presents the key decisions or regulations affecting employers and employees in Great Britain. According to the Protection from Harassment Act 1997, employers are liable for bullying or harassment made by the employees against their co-workers. The House of Lords has decided that a...
- Bullying and Harassment in the Workplace. Morrall, Stephen; Urquhart, Charles // Legal Information Management;Autumn2004, Vol. 4 Issue 3, p164
This article discusses the measures that can be taken by employers to prevent or minimize bullying and harassment at work. Bullying and harassment must be identified. Bullying and harassment can take place in correspondence, electronic communications, telephone and even automatic supervision...
- Bullying. Martin, David M. // A to Z of Employment Practice;2004, p71
The article explores issues related to bullying in the workplace in Great Britain. Employers face liability when bullying and its related activities lead to serious injury. Employers are advised to adopt a policy to address the problem and to take a proactive role in avoiding or minimizing...
- Brutish behavior. Hodgkiss, Kate // Commercial Motor;12/4/2003, Vol. 198 Issue 5057, p36
Focuses on bullying and harassment of employees by their employers. Overview of a case in which a highly paid company director had suffered mental distress from bullying against him; Discussion on bullying; Less obvious tactics of bullying.
- Bully Management. Demars, Nan // OfficePro;Aug/Sep2004, Vol. 64 Issue 6, p35
Presents pieces of advice on how to manage workplace bullying. Impact of bullying on the employee and the company's productivity and profitability; Information on why people bully; Recommendation of Tina Bailey, a secretary with The Dean Co. in Princeton, West Virginia, on dealing with a bully.
- Workplace bullying: Escalated incivility. Namie, Gary // Ivey Business Journal;Nov/Dec2003, Vol. 68 Issue 2, p1
The time has come to treat workplace bullying the same as sexual harassment or racial discrimination, to identify the perpetrators, establish rules of conduct and penalties, and even pass laws prohibiting and penalizing bullying. This author, an expert on the subject, draws a compelling picture...
- Benchmarking grievance procedures... Expect two grievances per year. // Personnel Today;4/13/2010, p23
The article discusses findings of 2010 benchmarking research for Great Britain from Independent Review Service (IRS). The research has found that over the past two years, the median number of grievances handled is 4 per organisation; the median number of grievances per 100 employees per year is...
- THE ROLE OF MOBBING IN GENERATING HUMAN ERRORS IN MARITIME INDUSTRY. HATEM, ÖCEL // Analele Universitatii Maritime Constanta;2011, Vol. 12 Issue 15, p85
Bullying in the workplace is a serious problem for many workers, employers and totally for organizations. It prevails in both private and public organizations, and finds its victims among men and women as well as among managers and workers alike.