Top health hits of the year
- Health Canada warns against unauthorised cesium chloride. // Reactions Weekly;9/19/2009, Issue 1270, p2
The article reports on the warning issued by Health Canada regarding the use of non-radioactive cesium salts, particularly cesium chloride. The agency has warned consumers in Canada that the use of non-radioactive cesium chloride not authorised for oral or intravenous use in cancer treatment may...
- NYC v. trans fats. Murray, Sally; Sibbald, Barbara // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;11/22/2005, Vol. 173 Issue 11, p1310
Reports on the high mortality rate associated with heart disease in New York City in 2005. Recommendation by the city's Department of Health and Mental Hygiene to food services about food that contains trans fats; Research findings on the health implication of eating trans fats.
- Reduced Incidence of Invasive Breast Cancer With Raloxifene Among Women at Increased Coronary Risk. Grady, Deborah; Cauley, Jane A.; Geiger, Mary Jane; Kornitzer, Marcel; Mosca, Lori; Collins, Peter; Wenger, Nanette K.; Jingli Song; Mershon, John; Barrett-Connor, Elizabeth // JNCI: Journal of the National Cancer Institute;6/18/2008, Vol. 100 Issue 12, p854
Background In the Raloxifene Use for The Heart trial, 10 101 postmenopausal women with coronary heart disease (CHD) or multiple CHD risk factors were randomly assigned to 60 mg/d raloxifene or to placebo and followed for a median of 5.6 years. Raloxifene, a selective estrogen receptor modulator,...
- Parkhurst's cuisine strives to feed the 'Whole Body'. King, Paul // Nation's Restaurant News;3/18/2002, Vol. 36 Issue 11, p18
Presents the response of Parkhurst Dining Services, a foodservice contractor on the customers' increasing interest of healthful eating habits in the U.S. Benefits of the program on families; Creation of a menu program 'Whole Body Cuisine,' Contrast between Whole Body and with other diet...
- Nutty choice for healthy snacks. // Consumer Reports on Health;Mar2001, Vol. 13 Issue 3, p7
Focuses on the effectiveness of nuts in treating heart disease and prostate cancer in the United States. Nutrients found in common nuts; Use of mono-unsaturated fats to lower low-density lipoprotein cholesterol level; Properties of flavonoids, ellagic acid and selenium.
- WOMEN'S Wellness GUIDE. PERRY, MO; SKINNER, QUINTON; SOHN, EMILY // Minnesota Monthly;May2014, Vol. 48 Issue 5, p61
The article introduces a series of reports that focus on the primary health concerns of women including heart disease, cancer fertility, mental health, and dietary issues and discuss best practices and treatments in these areas.
- If you think you know cancer, think again. // Filipino Post;8/7/2014, p8
The article discusses a survey conducted by the organization Canadian Cancer Survivor Network (CCSN) as of August 7 - August 13, 2014 according to which in spite of increased longevity of cancer patients in Canada, they experience side effects such as low immunity, lymphedema, and heart disease.
- His Biggest Risks. Segell, Michael // Town & Country;Aug99, Vol. 153 Issue 5231, p106
Discusses the health risks in men. Heart disease; Cancer; Osteoporosis.
- Where There's Smoke. Dixon, Bernard // Sciences;Mar81, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p29
Focuses on the health aspect of smoking in Great Britain. Relation between smoking and lung cancer; Assessment on validity of scientific evidence on effect of smoking; Association between cigarette smoking and coronary heart disease.