Gambler Ergen Bets Big
- Striking twice. Santo, Brian // CED;Jul2013, Vol. 39 Issue 7, p3
The author reflects on the offering of high definition (HD) channels by the U.S.-based direct broadcast satellite service providers Dish Network Corp. and DirecTV Inc. resulting in cable operators' following suit owing to its popularity among consumers.
- Bird Watching in HD. Moss, Linda // Multichannel News;3/24/2008, Vol. 29 Issue 12, p3
The article offers news briefs related to high definition technology in the U.S. Dish Network Corp. lost a round in the competitive high definition television (HDTV) race in the local market in March 2008 while DirecTV Inc. boosts its ambitious expansion plans for satellite launches. The...
- Dish Network Bows HD Programming, Hardware. Elrich, David // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;1/30/2006, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p6
The article reports on the high definition (HD) programming and hardware lineup introduced by Dish Network during the International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Nevada in January 2006. Dish Network CEO Charlie Ergen claimed that the company surpassed the 12 million subscriber...
- Dish Crosses 14M Sub Mark. Farrell, Mike // Multichannel News;12/14/2009, Vol. 30 Issue 46, p21
The article reports on the achievement of Dish Network Corp. to reach the 14 millionth subscriber which makes the company the third in largest multichannel video service providers in the U.S. It is noted that the company has 241,000 new subscribers in September 30, 2009. It is said that Dish has...
- DirecTv bows HDTV for Thomson set owners. Tarr // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;08/09/99, Vol. 14 Issue 18, p1
Reports that DirecTV Inc. has launched a high-definition television (HDTV) service and resumed the disconnection of unqualified subscribers from its distant network television services in the United States. Subscribers capable of using DirecTV's HDTV service; HDTV set required to access the...
- DirecTV Adds Third HD Channel: Showtime. Tarr, Greg // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;5/13/2002, Vol. 17 Issue 11, p31
Reports the launching of high definition television channel on the DBS platform by DirecTV Inc. in El Segundo, California. Date on the first transmission of the channel; Use of orbital slot for the transmission; Requirement for the channel subscription.
- High-def TV service. // Consumer Reports;Mar2008, Vol. 73 Issue 3, p28
The article reviews high definition television services available in the United States from several companies, including Verizon, DirecTV, and Dish Network. INSETS: How the service providers stack up;When 'HD' isn't really high-def.
- The King of HDTV. Roberts, Johnnie L. // Newsweek;1/22/2007, Vol. 149 Issue 4, p44
The article focuses on John Malone, former owner of Tele-Communications Inc., who is trying to achieve the same level of success he enjoyed with DirectTV. Malone owned Tele-Communications Inc. until he decided to sell it to AT&T in 1998. He has bought the satellite-TV leader DirectTV and Dish...
- DirecTV, Dish Adding More HD Channels. Tarr, Greg // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;8/4/2008, Vol. 23 Issue 16, p1
The article reports that satellite television (TV) providers DirecTV and Dish Network have announced that they will be adding more high definition (HD) channels. According to DirecTV, it will increase its HDTV service by 30 new channels on August 14, 2008, increasing its total services to 130...