DBS EARNS AN HD PASS
- Striking twice. Santo, Brian // CED;Jul2013, Vol. 39 Issue 7, p3
The author reflects on the offering of high definition (HD) channels by the U.S.-based direct broadcast satellite service providers Dish Network Corp. and DirecTV Inc. resulting in cable operators' following suit owing to its popularity among consumers.
- DirecTv bows HDTV for Thomson set owners. Tarr // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;08/09/99, Vol. 14 Issue 18, p1
Reports that DirecTV Inc. has launched a high-definition television (HDTV) service and resumed the disconnection of unqualified subscribers from its distant network television services in the United States. Subscribers capable of using DirecTV's HDTV service; HDTV set required to access the...
- DirecTV Adds Third HD Channel: Showtime. Tarr, Greg // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;5/13/2002, Vol. 17 Issue 11, p31
Reports the launching of high definition television channel on the DBS platform by DirecTV Inc. in El Segundo, California. Date on the first transmission of the channel; Use of orbital slot for the transmission; Requirement for the channel subscription.
- Gambler Ergen Bets Big. Gibbons, Kent // Multichannel News;3/24/2008, Vol. 29 Issue 12, p28
The article reports on the move of Dish Network Corp.'s chief executive officer (CEO) Charlie Ergen to continue being competitive with DirecTV Inc. on the high-definition programming front in the U.S. According to Ergen, some setbacks would not hamper the company's plans for high-definition...
- DirecTV, Dish Adding More HD Channels. Tarr, Greg // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;8/4/2008, Vol. 23 Issue 16, p1
The article reports that satellite television (TV) providers DirecTV and Dish Network have announced that they will be adding more high definition (HD) channels. According to DirecTV, it will increase its HDTV service by 30 new channels on August 14, 2008, increasing its total services to 130...
- Comcast: Our HD Looks Best. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;5/7/2007, Vol. 28 Issue 19, p12
The article reports on the launching of a series of advertising campaigns by Comcast Corp. which depicts the result of a poll that indicates that the company delivers a better high definition (HD) image than DirecTV Inc. or Dish Network in the U.S. The campaigns also criticize the claim of...
- High-def TV service. // Consumer Reports;Mar2008, Vol. 73 Issue 3, p28
The article reviews high definition television services available in the United States from several companies, including Verizon, DirecTV, and Dish Network. INSETS: How the service providers stack up;When 'HD' isn't really high-def.
- The King of HDTV. Roberts, Johnnie L. // Newsweek;1/22/2007, Vol. 149 Issue 4, p44
The article focuses on John Malone, former owner of Tele-Communications Inc., who is trying to achieve the same level of success he enjoyed with DirectTV. Malone owned Tele-Communications Inc. until he decided to sell it to AT&T in 1998. He has bought the satellite-TV leader DirectTV and Dish...
- Competition:. // CableFAX Daily;5/18/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 97, p2
This article offers news briefs in the cable television industry as of May 2006. Verizon acquired its 7th and 8th Virginia cable franchises in Prince William and Loudoun Counties. DISH Network has launched local high definition (HD) channels in some U.S. cities including Dallas, Houston and...