Bird Watching in HD
- Gambler Ergen Bets Big. Gibbons, Kent // Multichannel News;3/24/2008, Vol. 29 Issue 12, p28
The article reports on the move of Dish Network Corp.'s chief executive officer (CEO) Charlie Ergen to continue being competitive with DirecTV Inc. on the high-definition programming front in the U.S. According to Ergen, some setbacks would not hamper the company's plans for high-definition...
- Striking twice. Santo, Brian // CED;Jul2013, Vol. 39 Issue 7, p3
The author reflects on the offering of high definition (HD) channels by the U.S.-based direct broadcast satellite service providers Dish Network Corp. and DirecTV Inc. resulting in cable operators' following suit owing to its popularity among consumers.
- Operator Technology Executives Outline Satellite Procurement Strategies. Holmes, Mark // Satellite News;9/15/2010, Vol. 33 Issue 37, p6
The article reports on the procurement strategies of satellite operators. The ever increasing demand for bandwidth leading the satellite operators to demand more from the satellite manufacturers. Whereas DirecTV Inc. acquires a large number of satellites and capacity to offer large number of...
- DirecTV Plans Hi-Def Impact. Whitney, Daisy // Television Week;10/31/2005, Vol. 24 Issue 44, p19
This article reports on a satellite to be launched by DirecTV in November 2005. The satellite is its second in 2005. Those two satellites will enable the distributor to expand local high-definition channels in 12 top markets in 2005 and another 24 markets by the end of 2006. When it follows up...
- DirecTV Deal a Needed Boost for Boeing Satellite Operations. Maese, Kathryn // Orange County Business Journal;9/27/2004, Vol. 27 Issue 39, p8
Reports on the contract of Boeing Co. to build several bus-sized satellites for DirecTV Group Inc. in El Segundo, California. Plan of Boeing to build three 702 model satellites; Expectation for the satellites to deliver high-definition television channels to DirecTV subscribers; Significance of...
- ESPN's HD 'Blitz' Donohue, Steve // Multichannel News;9/5/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 37, p22
Provides information on the 100 Yard Blitz, a promotion launched by ESPN and DirecTV for its high-definition television (HDTV) programming in the U.S. in September 2005. Launch of the promotion in the television program "Mike and Mike in the Morning"; Number of HDTV that will be distributed...
- Hi-def redefines L.A.'s post-production picture. Grove, Christopher // Daily Variety;5/31/2002, Vol. 275 Issue 65, pA5
Reports the increase in the sales of HDTV-ready sets in the U.S. Addition of high-definition on shows by networks and cablers; Statement regarding digital cable by Richard Doherty; Advantage of progressive-scan pictures.
- DirecTv bows HDTV for Thomson set owners. Tarr // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;08/09/99, Vol. 14 Issue 18, p1
Reports that DirecTV Inc. has launched a high-definition television (HDTV) service and resumed the disconnection of unqualified subscribers from its distant network television services in the United States. Subscribers capable of using DirecTV's HDTV service; HDTV set required to access the...
- DirecTV Adds Third HD Channel: Showtime. Tarr, Greg // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;5/13/2002, Vol. 17 Issue 11, p31
Reports the launching of high definition television channel on the DBS platform by DirecTV Inc. in El Segundo, California. Date on the first transmission of the channel; Use of orbital slot for the transmission; Requirement for the channel subscription.