Scholastic Launches Reading Program For Middle Schoolers
- Just read. Wolf, James M. // Educational Leadership;May98, Vol. 55 Issue 8, p61
Presents information on Just Read, a language arts initiative designed to increase independent reading by students in the United States. In-depth look at Operation Just Read; Information on the reading of books at various ages; Details in the Just Read initiative; Steps to successful reading by...
- MOTIVATING READERS. Calkins, Lucy // Instructor-Primary;Aug96, Vol. 106 Issue 1, p32
Focuses on the strategies to motivate students to read in the U.S. Part of independent reading in the curriculum; Importance of a literate environment; Value of reading partners. INSET: 2 SCHOOL-TO-HOME RITUALS THAT SUPPORT READING..
- The Right to Read. Holliday, Heather // Scholastic Scope;4/8/2002-4/22/2002, Vol. 50 Issue 15/16, p29
Examines the rights of students to read in the U.S. Assessment on book-banning attempts; Criticisms on the content of offensive books; Provisions of freedom of speech and the freedom from insults.
- Students don't get enough practice in reading. // Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy;Dec96/Jan97, Vol. 40 Issue 4, p311
Details the results of a study called `Patterns of Reading Practice: How Differences in Reading Practice Explain Differences in Schools and Students,' which examines reading performance data on more than 650,000 students in the United States. Average reading hours spent by students in Grades...
- Reading is fun. // Wilson County News;3/5/2014, p3E
A photograph of students Yesenia Arellano and Makayla Leos reading books in a library in Floresville, Texas is presented.
- Scaffolding adolescents' comprehension of short stories. Fournier, David N.E.; Graves, Michael F. // Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy;Sep2002, Vol. 46 Issue 1, p30
Describes an approach to assisting seventh-grade students' comprehension of individual texts with a Scaffolded Reading Experience (SRE). Information on the reading skills of U.S. high school students according to the National Assessment of Educational Progress; Effect of using SRE on classroom...
- High school reading programs revisited. Barry, Arlene L. // Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy;Apr97, Vol. 40 Issue 7, p524
Identifies programs and practices developed for high school students who have difficulty reading in the United States and the changes in practice from past to present. Structure; Organization and staffing; Instruction; Trends.
- Testing. Hoff, David J. // Education Week;11/14/2001, Vol. 21 Issue 11, p12
Reports the administration of literacy tests on reading and writing skills of adolescents in the United States. Goal of the ability testing; Competition between industrialized countries regarding abilities of students; Description of test example.
- How To Get Free Help. // NEA Today;Sep99, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p31
Reports on the reading program started by teacher Judi Beam together with the federal reading program `America Reads Challenge' in Michigan. Goal of the program; Inclusion of college students in the program; Impact of the program to the children and the college students.