Normative SF-36 Values in Competing NCAA Intercollegiate Athletes Differ from Values in the General Population
- Exercise for optimum health. Trotto, Nancy E. // Patient Care;11/15/1999, Vol. 33 Issue 18, p97
Reports the significance of exercise in achieving optimum health in the United States. Hazards of sedentary living; Benefits derived from regular exercise; Recommendations by the American College of Sports Medicine on types and amounts of physical activity; Role of primary care physician in...
- 35-50 THE LONG HAUL. // Backpacker;May2009, Vol. 37 Issue 4, p42
The article determines the physical potential of people ages 35-50.
- Evaluation of true maximal oxygen uptake based on a novel set of standardized criteria. Midgley, Adrian W.; Carroll, Sean; Marchant, David; McNaughton, Lars R.; Siegler, Jason // Applied Physiology, Nutrition & Metabolism;Apr2009, Vol. 34 Issue 2, p115
In this study, criteria are used to identify whether a subject has elicited maximal oxygen uptake. We evaluated the validity of traditional maximal oxygen uptake criteria and propose a novel set of criteria. Twenty athletes completed a maximal oxygen uptake test, consisting of an incremental...
- So, How's Your Health? Cowley, Geoffrey; Underwood, Anne; Davenport, John // Newsweek;8/2/1999, Vol. 134 Issue 5, p48
Looks at the results of a June 1999 United States health survey commissioned by Discovery Health Media and conducted in conjunction with `Newsweek.' Sample size; Contributors to increased life expectancy; Health risks associated with diet and exercise patterns; Consumption of fats, oils and...
- County Health Rankings. // Journal of Family & Consumer Sciences;Winter2010, Vol. 102 Issue 1, p74
The article focuses on the evaluation of health status by county in the U.S. as initiated by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation in collaboration with the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute.
- UK workers are out of shape, states research. Paton, Nic // Occupational Health;May2011, Vol. 63 Issue 5, p7
The article reports on the findings of a study conducted by the Benenden Healthcare Society which revealed that average British workers showed lack of fitness after they were put into some tests.
- Focus on performance indicators. Lowry, Stella // British Medical Journal (Clinical Research Edition);4/2/1988, Vol. 296 Issue 6627, p992
Discusses the function of performance indicators in all district health authorities in Great Britain. Limitations of performance indicators; Definition of performance indicators; Functions of performance indicators.
- Physical activity drops significantly for youth between ages 9 and 15. Currie, Donya // Nation's Health;Sep2008, Vol. 38 Issue 7, p29
The article focuses on a study which revealed the amount of daily physical activity children engage in declined tremendously in the U.S. between their ninth and 15th birthdays. At age 9, children engaged in about three daily hours of moderate to vigorous physical activity, but in the following...
- research in brief. // SportEX Health (14718154);Jan2011, Issue 27, p5
The article offers world news briefs related to physical fitness in 2011 including the effectiveness of intensive behavioral weight loss intervention, the applications of bariatric or weight loss surgery and efficiency of using physical therapy exercises for patients with osteoarthritis (OA).