TITLE

A NATIONALIST CRITIQUE OF LOCAL LAWS PURPORTING TO REGULATE THE HIRING OF UNDOCUMENTED WORKERS

AUTHOR(S)
Lounsbury, Adam L.
PUB. DATE
February 2008
SOURCE
Albany Law Review;2008, Vol. 71 Issue 1, p415
SOURCE TYPE
Academic Journal
DOC. TYPE
Article
ABSTRACT
The article examines the U.S. Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA) and its relevant legislative history. It addresses the legislative purpose and specific provisions of Suff County's attempt to impose additional requirements on employers with respect to hiring undocumented workers, and suggests that local laws enacted to supplement IRCA will not survive an express or implied preemption challenge.
ACCESSION #
31249551

 

Related Articles

  • Getting Serious about Illegal Immigration. Lempres, Michael T. // National Review;2/21/1994, Vol. 46 Issue 3, p52 

    The article discusses the problem of illegal immigration in the U.S. and offers ways on how to control the influx of illegal immigrants. It examines some rules and requirements to follow to reduce such illegal migration. One component is the interdiction at the border. It explains that...

  • Animosity and Amnesty. O'BEIRNE, KATE // National Review;7/9/2007, Vol. 59 Issue 12, p18 

    The article comments on the U.S. immigration reform legislative bill stalled in Congress that President George W. Bush is supporting. Conservatives say the bill provides amnesty to illegal aliens without first pursuing more effective enforcement of existing laws. Analyses of the bill by the...

  • A very difficult fraud waiver victory. GURFINKEL, MICHAEL J. // Filipino Reporter;8/7/2015, Vol. 43 Issue 36, p33 

    The article offers information about fraud waiver, which is required of persons who commit fraud in obtaining an immigration benefit in the U.S. Topics discussed include the requirements to be eligible to apply for a fraud waiver, and the acts considered fraudulent, such as entering the U.S....

  • Not So Realistic. Krikorian, Mark // National Review;9/12/2005, Vol. 57 Issue 16, p38 

    Offers a discussion about the issue of immigration reform in the United States. Proposals made to the Senate for addressing the illegal alien problem in the U.S.; Claim that the success of the proposals depends on registering and screening millions of illegal aliens within a short period of...

  • The One-Man Wall. Howley, Kerry // Reason;Oct2008, Vol. 40 Issue 5, p34 

    The article focuses on the life and works of the anti-immigration crusader and Arizona legislator Russell Pearce. It relates how Pearce's obsession against illegal aliens changed immigration policy for the worse. It is said that Pearce has used nearly every political position he has held to...

  • THE NEW JET SET. Mehlman, Ira H. // National Review;3/15/1993, Vol. 45 Issue 5, p40 

    The article deals with the increasing number of political asylum claimants entering the John F. Kennedy (JFK) International Airport in New York City. Foreigners who seek political asylum in the U.S. have 93 percent chances of remaining in the country. In JFK, only 7 percent of the inadmissible...

  • Border War. Crowley, Michael // New Republic;3/28/2005, Vol. 232 Issue 11/12, p12 

    Offers a look at an anti-immigration political movement among Republicans in the United States. Desire of Republican Representative Tom Tancredo to limit immigration to the U.S.; Report that Tancredo is in opposition to President George W. Bush on the issue of immigration; Possibility that...

  • Controversy Over Immigration Policy.  // Congressional Digest;Oct81, Vol. 60 Issue 10, p225 

    Focuses on the controversy over the U.S. immigration policy. Impetus to the termination of the national origins quota system; Impact of the immigration law on the economy and the labor standards; Assimilation capability of various types of immigrants.

  • ON THE GROUND. Romano, Andrew; Ramirez Illegal immigrants tend to settle in border states and large cities. Where they live -- and how each state's senators voted, Jessica // Newsweek;6/18/2007, Vol. 149 Issue 25, p37 

    A map of the United States is presented, showing information on illegal immigration and how each state's Senators voted on an immigration bill moving through Congress.

Share

Read the Article

Courtesy of VIRGINIA BEACH PUBLIC LIBRARY AND SYSTEM

Sorry, but this item is not currently available from your library.

Try another library?
Sign out of this library

Other Topics