ABC Spells VOD
- Disney Seems to Have The Multiservice Fever. Kagan, Paul // Cable World (10427228);10/13/2003, Vol. 15 Issue 38, p10
Comments on the MovieBeam video-on-demand (VOD) service offered by Disney. Background on DIVX and TiVo; Challenges faced by Disney in offering the service; Implication of the VOD initiative of Disney for the television broadcasting industry.
- Getting Viewers Into VOD's Tent. Kan, Amy // Multichannel News;10/20/2008, Vol. 29 Issue 41, p55
The article reports on the marketing of video on demand (VOD). The author mentions that barker channels are used to advertise VOD and discusses a study of how VOD users respond to them. It found that viewers responded more positively immediately after watching barkers channel and cited too many...
- VOD. // CableFAX Daily;9/8/2005, Vol. 16 Issue 174, p1
Reports on the consideration by Disney of a Comcast proposal that would let multisystem operator that would rerun ABC television series such as "Desperate Housewives" on video-on-demand after they air on the broadcast network.
- Palo Alto, Provo Mulling Muni Overbuilds. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;7/28/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 30, p26
Reports on prospects of a fibre-optic overbuild of local cable and phone companies in Palo Alto, California and Provo, Utah. Business plan of Uptown Service Inc. for Greenwood Village, Colorado; Two year pilot program operated by Palo Alto, offering high speed data service to local homes;...
- London calling for Disney Channel. Kemp, Stuart // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;12/5/2006, Vol. 397 Issue 14, p10
The article reports on the plan of Disney Channel in Europe to increase its investment in original programming and local co-productions in a bid to boost its competitive position. The company plans to open a "London hub" to headquarter its expansion. It also plans to develop long and shortform...
- Better reception likely for U.S. TV fare o'seas. Brennan, Steve // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;5/27/2003, Vol. 378 Issue 41, p14
Last week, Walt Disney Television International (WDTV) company president David Hulbert came back to London, England from the Los Angeles Screenings in California, confident that he had witnessed the early signs of a resurgence in the global television business at the TV market. Hulbert and his...
- ABC relaunches 24-hour news net. Learmonth, Michael // Daily Variety;1/24/2005, Vol. 286 Issue 19, p22
Reports on the relaunch of ABC News Now, the 24-hour news network, by Walt Disney Co. in the U.S. Aim of the network to depend on advertising and subscription fees from cable and satellite operators; Ability of the company to know the preferences of audiences; Claim of the company of the...
- Levin: video-on-demand looms. Sporich, Brett // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;6/19/2001, Vol. 368 Issue 39, p78
Reports on the emergence of video-on-demand (VOD) as a sought-after telecommunication technology in the television broadcasting sector of the United States. Key features of VOD; Pros and cons of VOD; Advantages of VOD over conventional television.
- Study: Subs Dig Day-and-Date VOD. Reynolds, Mike // Multichannel News;10/25/2010, Vol. 31 Issue 40, p9
The article reports on the findings of the study on Movies On Demand campaign themed "The Video Store Just Moved In" that shows that the industry's campaign strategy was in demand having a 40% recall rate among cable respondents in the U.S.