ANY MOMENT: High-Rise Fire
- "It Was Death, Absolute Death" Fiery disaster for the tourists in a Las Vegas hotel. Kelly, James; Scott, Gavin // Time;Dec1980, Vol. 116 Issue 22, p34
The article describes an ancient where smoke drifted through the casino of the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas. It states that the fire raced through the entire ground floor of the world's largest gambling hall and 2,076-room hotel. It also states that the firemen clambered up rescue ladders and...
- LANGUAGE BARRIER. Ennis, Rick // Fire Chief;Jun2008, Vol. 52 Issue 6, p58
The article focuses on the terminologies associated with firefighting tactics and incident command in the U.S. It states that, because of mounting administrative responsibilities to increase emphasis on incident management system and the decreased number of actual fire, chief officers over use...
- Tom's Trumpet. Brace, Tom // Minnesota Fire Chief;Sep/Oct2011, Vol. 48 Issue 1, p48
The author emphasizes the importance of training in the fire service. He argues that good training is critical to the fire service and notes major efforts should be made to provide the resources to provide this training. In view of this, the author stresses that the Minnesota Fire Chiefs...
- "Lessons-learned" investigation: What we learn from fires. Bergstrand, Glen // Minnesota Fire Chief;Mar/Apr2011, Vol. 47 Issue 4, p42
The article shares the lessons learned by the Minnesota State Fire Marshal Division from fire investigations. These include the capacity of fire safety features of a building such as sprinkler system and fire resistive construction to assist or hinder firefighters, the response behavior of...
- Hoseline Operations for Fires in Multiple Dwellings, Part 1. Gustin, Bill // Fire Engineering;Mar2012, Vol. 165 Issue 3, p73
The article focuses on how firefighters will handle hoseline operations for fires in multiple dwellings including apartment buildings, hotels, and condominiums. It mentions the respond of an engine company to a fire incident in Florida as example and cites the significance of staffing number to...
- Prepare for the worst: Fire in your hotel. Rosenthal, Alan // Crain's Small Business -- Chicago Edition;Nov96, Vol. 4 Issue 9, p16
Looks at how to be prepared for a fire in a hotel room. Statistics on fires at hotels and motels annually; How to increase your chances of surviving a fire; What to check for at the hotel; What to do if a fire alarm goes off; Contact point for the National Fire Protection Association.
- Fire escape. McGinnis, Christopher // Entrepreneur;Sep94, Vol. 22 Issue 9, p98
Offers tips in protecting oneself from hotel fires. Feeling for the door before opening it; Wetting a cloth for protection; Remembering to bring hotel keys; Crawling in case smoke is in the way; Remembering not to use the elevator; Informing operator or front desk to let them know your...
- Cause of White Bluff Inn blaze still unknown. Eubank, Ron // Lakelander (Whitney, TX);8/15/2007, Vol. 21 Issue 33, p1
The article reports that the cause of the fire at the White Bluff Inn in Whitney, Texas, on August 7, 2007, is still under investigation.
- Do you hear what I hear? Loeb, Donald L. // Fire Chief;Feb2003, Vol. 47 Issue 2, p60
Explores the importance of evacuation signals to protect the lives of firefighters in the U.S. Blowing of apparatus sirens; Importance of wearing appropriate protective gear; Duty of fire chiefs to prevent fireground deaths.