- Domestics in Middle East face widespread exploitation, abuse. Yeranian, Edward // Christian Science Monitor;5/6/97, Vol. 89 Issue 112, p7
Reports on the inhumane way in which foreign servants and maids are treated by employers in the Middle East. `Invisibility' of female domestic workers which allows employers the opportunity to evade labor legislation; Case of a Filipina maid who killed her employer while he was attempting to...
- Negotiating public space: Strategies and styles of migrant female domestic workers in Singapore. Yeoh, Brenda S.A.; Huang, Shirlena // Urban Studies (Routledge);Mar98, Vol. 35 Issue 3, p583
Examines the ways in which immigrant female domestic workers obtain access to public spaces in Singapore. Demand for domestic workers in Singapore; Public sphere as a proscribed space; Public sphere as contested space.
- Kuwait: Asian household workers abused. // Women's International Network News;Spring92, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p53
Cites a `USA Today' article on abused Asian household workers in Kuwait, published on March 5, 1992. How employment agencies run rings around the Philippine government order barring the recruitment of its citizens in Kuwait; Incidents of beatings and rapes reported to the Philippine Embassy.
- Kuwait: Women household workers fleeing. // Women's International Network News;Spring93, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p62
Reprints an article from the February 24, 1993 issue of `New York Times,' on the plight of domestics in Kuwait. Working conditions; Salary levels; complaints of domestic servants; Decision to leave the place of work due to abuses; Corrupt recruiting tactics; Prevalence of mistreatment of Asian...
- A woman's place. Bonner, Raymond // New Yorker;11/16/92, Vol. 68 Issue 39, p56
Discusses what Asian women are experiencing after they enter the country of Kuwait to find new lives and prosperity in a place where they are treated as second-class citizens by virtue of being both women and foreigners. The experience of Filipino Jenny Casanova; Kuwaiti government estimates...
- Kuwait: Rape and mistreatment of Asian maids. // Women's International Network News;Autumn92, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p48
Provides information on a report on crimes against Asian maids in Kuwait from the Women's Rights Project, a division of Human Rights Watch.
- MASTERS AND SERVANTS IN EIGHTEENTH CENTURY TOULOUSE. Fairchilds, Cissie // Journal of Social History;Spring79, Vol. 12 Issue 3
Examines the social conditions and work experiences of domestics in Toulouse, France in the eighteenth century. Evaluation on the relationship between masters and domestics; Arguments on the modernizing status of domestic service; Sociological assessment on servanthood in the evolution of...
- EDITORIAL. // Labour History;May1981, Issue 40, preceding p1
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the issue on topics including labour history, the ideological and neoantiquarian character of social history, and British working class perceptions of Australia.
- Maid Claims She Suffered While Working for Khobragade. SINGH, YOSHITA // India -- West;1/24/2014, Vol. 39 Issue 10, pA4
The article focuses on a statement of Sangeeta Richard, maid of senior diplomat Devyani Khobragade, and released by the anti-trafficking group Safe Horizon as of January 2014, which reveals that Richard suffered while working for Khobragade and mentions the views of group's Avaloy Lanning.