Metricom Ricochets Toward Mobile Devices
- Beyond 3G. Jackson, Donny // Telephony;10/16/2000, Vol. 239 Issue 16, p20
Reports on the introduction of the Ricochet technology service to several markets in the United States by Metricom Inc., a wireless communications service company. Implications of the introduction of the service; Features of the technology; Impact of the slow 3G deployment on Ricochet;...
- Autobahn provides high-speed wireless Net access. Moore, Mark // PC Week;04/21/97, Vol. 14 Issue 16, p105
Looks at Metricom Inc.'s Autobahn technology, due in 1998. Expectation that the technology will significantly increase the data transmission and Internet access speeds on its Ricochet wireless network; Business agreements made by Metricom involving its Richochet network.
- Cash For Metricom May Not Help. Appin, Rick // High Yield Report;5/21/2001, Vol. 12 Issue 20, pN.PAG
Discusses the business performance of wireless Internet pioneer Metricom Inc. as of May 21, 2001. Reason for the increase in the value of senior notes of the company; Amount of finance required by Metricom to make its cash flow positive; Working capital of the company at present; Percentage of...
- Metricom late with wireless 'Net services. Pappalardo, Denise // Network World;09/11/2000, Vol. 17 Issue 37, p25
Focuses on the impact of the mobile wireless Internet access service of Metricom on its market performance in the United States. Problems encountered by Metricom in getting right-of-way clearances; Impact of Metricom's network rollout on other Internet service providers; Deployment of radio...
- Bartering for Wireless Access to the Internet. Swope, Christopher // Governing;Feb2000, Vol. 13 Issue 5, p94
Reports on the approval by the Chicago city council of a deal that will bring wireless Internet service to the city by summer 2003 in Illinois. Terms of the city's contract with vendor Metricom; Components of the wireless Internet service; Cost of the use of streetlights used by Metricom for...
- Metricom launches service in LA. // RCR Wireless News;3/26/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 13, p93
Announces the launch of Metricom Inc.'s high-speed wireless Internet access service, Ricochet, in Los Angeles, California.
- Internet access hits the road. // R&D Magazine;June97, Vol. 39 Issue 7, p94
Reports on the introduction of a wireless system that delivers internet, e-mail and online capabilities to laptop computers without a phone line or Ethernet connections. Use of microcell radios attached to the tops of light poles.
- Unwiring the netheads. Meyers, Jason // Telephony;11/25/96, Vol. 231 Issue 22, p34
Presents Metricom's global plans for its wireless data service. Corporate goal; Market niche in the wide-open wireless access to the Internet, corporate intranets, e-mail and other data applications; Composition of Metricom's network architecture; Corporate philosophy on development and adoption...
- Ricochet bounces into Westchester, region. Philippidis, Alex // Westchester County Business Journal;06/12/2000, Vol. 39 Issue 24, p6
Announces the plan of Metricom Inc. to expand its Ricochet wireless service into Westchester and metropolitan New York. Approvals gained by Metricom to install relays in New Rochelle and Pleasantville; Marketing strategy planned for the Ricochet service.