Children's brain development 'strongly influenced by food'
- Boost your child's brainpower! Johnson, Woodruff // Essence (Essence);Aug98, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p112
Explains how to develop a child's brainpower. Overview on how brain dominance affects learning; Functions of several parts of the brain; Factors that affects a child's mental performance. INSET: Toward a whole-brain home environment..
- Growth pattern of schoolchildren in Sagamu, Nigeria using the CDC standards and 2007 WHO standards. Fetuga, M.; Ogunlesi, T.; Adekanmbi, A.; Alabi, A. // Indian Pediatrics;Jul2011, Vol. 48 Issue 7, p523
Objective: To compare the median weight, height and body mass index of school children with the 2000 CDC and 2007 WHO reference values. Settings: Schoolchildren in Sagamu, Nigeria. Design: Cross-sectional survey. Methods: Between November and December, 2008, 1690 school children aged 6 to 16...
- Nutrient intake in 5-17-year-old African boys and girls in a rural district of Kenya. Semproli, S.; Canducci, E.; Ricci, E.; Gualdi-Russo, E. // Nutricion Hospitalaria;jul/ago2011, Vol. 26 Issue 4, p765
Objective: To investigate relationships between nutritional status and growth among a sample of schoolchildren and adolescents living in a rural district of Kenya. Design: Cross-sectional nutritional and anthropometric survey. Setting: The data are from schools in a rural district of...
- Hunger stunts Filipino kids. // Filipino Post;
The article focuses on the survey of the Philippine Food and Nutrition Research Institute, which shows that most of the school children in the country are malnourished in 2008 because poverty has forced them to eat too little for years.
- HIGHLIGHT FRUITS AND VEGGIES. // Scholastic SuperScience;Mar2011, Vol. 22 Issue 6, p3
The article presents a study, conducted by a group of researchers at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, which shows that putting vegetables and fruits in a colorful bowl or display can get children to make healthier choices.
- Childhood energy intake and adult mortality from cancer: The... Frankel, Stephen; Gunnell, David J.; Peters, Tim J.; Maynard, Maria; Smith, George Davey // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);02/14/98, Vol. 316 Issue 7130, p499
Examines the relationship between childhood nutrition and adult mortality from cancer. Methodology of the study; Brief account on the use of height as a determinant for childhood nutrition; Comparison of the study to animal studies; Discussion of results; Conclusions.
- food: briefly. // Chicago Citizen;9/8/2010, Vol. 45 Issue 24, p9
The article reports on the study conducted by researchers at the University of North Carolina which reveals that about one-third of the daily calories consumed by children have come from unhealthy snacks.
- Nutritional status and growth of indigenous Xavante children, Central Brazil. // Nutrition Journal;2012, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p3
The article presents a study focusing on nutritional status and growth of indigenous Xavante children in Central Brazil. The findings of the study show that undernutrition, in particular linear growth deficit, is a notable health issue for Xavante children which is contrary to the nutritional...
- Eltern stehen in der Pflicht. Rück, Daniela // Lebensmittel Zeitung;9/6/2013, Issue 36, p53
The article presents information on a German research study on the nutrition, health, and overweight of children and announces that parents feel responsible for their children's nutrition.