Globalstar Faces Canadian Foes
- Going Global. Taverna, Michael A. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;9/1/2008, Vol. 169 Issue 8, p26
The article reports that Globalstar, Inmarsat and Iridium are reaching critical milestones in their quest to launch a new generation of global mobile communications satellites competitive with terrestrial cellular phone networks. The spacecraft, together with hybrid geostationary systems being...
- A Requiem, A Reality Check. Lee, Rikki // Wireless Week;04/03/2000, Vol. 6 Issue 14, p4
Deals with the bankruptcy of Iridium, a satellite-based mobile communication systems company in the United States. Factors which contributed to the failure of Iridium; Comparison between Iridium and the Globalstar artificial satellite system; Satellite service costs.
- Heads Up! Satellites To Burn. // Wireless Week;08/28/2000, Vol. 6 Issue 35, p1
Reports that Iridium LLC will destroy its network of satellites. Reason behind the move.
- Iridium loans lift satellite hopes. // Telecommunications - International Edition;Feb99, Vol. 33 Issue 2, p11
Reports on telecommunications firm Iridium LLC's loan to finance its satellite project. Loan from Chase Securities and Barclays Capital; Optimism over the future of the next generation satellite communication systems.
- Iridium--a case study in progress. Halligan // Electronic Design;09/20/99, Vol. 47 Issue 19, p18
Editorial. Comments on the failure of Iridium LLC to realize its vision of a global satellite phone system. Company's filing for Chapter 11 reorganization; Criticisms regarding the Iidium technology; Inability to reconcile technology with market realities; Value of the entrepreneurial drive.
- Iridium begins countdown. // Telephony;01/13/97, Vol. 232 Issue 2, p44
Highlights Iridium's launch of the first three satellites of its 66-satellite system which will provide voice, fax and data service.
- The final countdown. Meyers, Jason // Telephony;11/17/97, Vol. 233 Issue 20, p36
Focuses on Iridium Inc.'s low earth orbit satellite system called Iridium. Unification of the elements for various types of communication networks as the system's function; Components and benefits of the system for network operators; Total number of Iridium's satellites planned for...
- Iridium completes satellite constellation deployment. // Mobile Radio Technology;Jul98, Vol. 16 Issue 7, p43
Reports on the technical completion of Iridium Inc.'s 66-satellite wireless personal telecommunications network. Launching of five communications satellites on May 17, 1998; Communication services offered.
- Marketing is next hurdle for MSS operators. Bruno, Antony // RCR;11/30/98, Vol. 17 Issue 48, p14
Discusses issues related to mobile satellite communications services (MSS) industry. Commercial activation of Iridium LLC's satellite-based mobile telephone network; Risk factors in marketing and product distribution; Background of distribution operations of Iridium; Forecast on demand for MSS...