Underground On American Soil: Undocumented Workers and US Immigration Policy
- Anti-immigration climate degrades not only immigrants, but all citizens of color. Wu, Amy // Christian Science Monitor;7/17/95, Vol. 87 Issue 161, p19
Narrates the struggle of author's parents, as immigrants to become American citizens to get better facilities for their children, in the light of congressional proposals to limit legal immigration. Focus on the citizens' behavior towards the immigrants.
- The making of Amerexico. Andreas, Peter // World Policy Journal;Summer94, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p45
Discusses American policy on the influx of Mexican immigrants. Rush of officialdom to barricade the border with Mexico; Inability of the maquiladora initiative to stem illegal migration; Enhancement of economic linkages by the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA); Skepticism on the policy...
- Can US halt illegal migrants by hosting more 'guests'? Wood, Daniel B.; McLaughlin, Abraham // Christian Science Monitor;9/7/2001, Vol. 93 Issue 199, p2
Focuses on plans of United States President George W. Bush and Mexican President Vicente Fox to end the presence of undocumented workers from Mexico in the U.S., including policy focusing on temporary-worker rules.
- ISSUES SHAPING YOUR FUTURE. // Junior Scholastic;2/12/2007, Vol. 109 Issue 12, p6
The article offers information on the illegal immigration in the U.S., the number of illegal immigrants being estimated to 12 million.
- Life in the Shadows. Alvarez, Lizette // New York Times Upfront;9/3/2007, Vol. 140 Issue 1, p10
The article relates the story of a female illegal immigrant in the U.S. It states that there are an estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in the country. It explains how illegal immigrants are able to enter the country. It describes the living conditions of an illegal immigrant who left...
- A nation of laws or compassion? Chittister, Joan // National Catholic Reporter;02/02/2001, Vol. 37 Issue 14, p19
No abstract available.
- Can we walk the walk without talking the talk? Fassl, Joyce // Food Engineering;Jul2006, Vol. 78 Issue 7, p8
The author reflects on the significance of immigrants to the food industry in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She comments on the story of the South Philadelphia cheese steak landmark with the little tiny sign in its window demanding that all patrons place their orders in English. She states that...
- U.S. Closing the Door on IMMIGRANTS. Vilbig, Peter // New York Times Upfront;1/10/2003, Vol. 135 Issue 7, p12
Discusses the impact of anti-terrorism-related security measures by the government on illegal immigrants and refugees coming into the U.S. Statistics on immigrants and immigration; Consequences of the intense scrutiny for terrorists at border crossings; Decrease in admitting political refugees.
- Truth, like roses, often comes with thorns. Lamm, Richard D. // Vital Speeches of the Day;12/1/94, Vol. 61 Issue 4, p124
Presents a speech by the Director of the Center for Public Policy and Contemporary Issues at the University of Denver, delivered before the 1994 Harris Bank Family Conference in Chicago, Illinois on october 15, about the immigration issue in the United States. Failure of the immigration policy;...