Scanning heterodyne laser interferometer for phase-sensitive absolute-amplitude measurements of surface vibrations
- A passive vibration isolation stack for LIGO: Design, modeling, and testing. Giaime, Joseph; Saha, Partha; Shoemaker, David; Sievers, Lisa // Review of Scientific Instruments;Jan96, Vol. 67 Issue 1, p208
Describes the design, modeling and testing of a prototype of a passive vibration isolation stack suitable for use in the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory. Viscoelastic properties of elastomer springs used in the stack; Transmission of base motion to top motion.
- Real time interferometric measurement of the parameters of a mechanical oscillator. Olivos-Fuentes, Brenda E.; Gutierrez, Luis; Morales, Alejandro // Review of Scientific Instruments;Sep98, Vol. 69 Issue 9, p3435
Examines the use of a Michelson laser interferometer to measure mechanical oscillator parameters. Application of the system in real time interferometric measurement and data analysis workstation; Emphasis on amplitude, frequency and speed as oscillator parameters.
- Operation of an 8 m suspended Michelson interferometer Zhao, C.; Notcutt, M.; Ju, L.; Blair, D. // Review of Scientific Instruments;Jul98, Vol. 69 Issue 7, p2773
Reports the operation of an 8 m Michelson interferometer which uses multistage cantilever spring vibration isolators. Details on the 8 m Michelson interferometer; Description of the control system for normal mode damping; Performance of the dominant noise sources of the interferometer.
- Physicist `find' lost coherence. Hecht, Jeff // Laser Focus World;Feb96, Vol. 32 Issue 2, p20
Reports on the development of atomic interferometers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge. Performance of Richard Feynman's gedanken experiment.
- Interferometric techniques characterize CW laser beams. Dixon, G.J. // Laser Focus World;Jan98, Vol. 34 Issue 1, p147
Talks about the uses of laser-based interferometers. Interferometric analysis of the longitudinal-mode spectrum of an operating laser; Confocal cavities ease mode-matching; Information provided by scanning interferometers on the frequency stability of a single-frequency source; Elimination of...
- Methods of active interferometry with frequency modulation. Sobolev, V.; Kashcheeva, G. // Measurement Techniques;Mar2010, Vol. 53 Issue 3, p333
A theoretical evaluation of methods of interferometry based on phenomena of optical feedback in semiconductor lasers and frequency modulation of these lasers is presented. A description of methods of measurement of distance, motion, velocities, and vibrations of diffusely reflecting objects is...
- Phase error correction method for a vibration compensated interferometer. Van Zeeland, M. A.; Carlstrom, T. N. // Review of Scientific Instruments;Oct2004 Part I & II, Vol. 75 Issue 10, p3423
In order to compensate for vibrations while simultaneously measuring plasma line-averaged density, the existing real-time interferometer on DIII-D uses both a HeNe and CO2 laser operating at 10.59 and 0.632 �m, respectively. The line density resolution is 1018 m-2 which is predominantly...
- Active control of a balanced two-stage pendulum vibration isolation system and its application to laser interferometric gravity wave detectors. Veitch, P. J.; Robertson, N. A.; Cantley, C. A.; Hough, J. // Review of Scientific Instruments;May93, Vol. 64 Issue 5, p1330
The investigation of the servo control of the position of the bottom mass in a balanced two-stage pendulum vibration isolation system is reported. Experimental results for a simple prototype system and predictions based on a model presented in this paper are in good agreement. The application of...
- The second generation LIGO interferometers. Fritschel, Peter // AIP Conference Proceedings;2001, Vol. 575 Issue 1, p15
The interferometers being planned for second generation LIGO promise an order of magnitude increase in broadband strain sensitivity-with the corresponding cubic increase in detection volume-and an extension of the observation band to lower frequencies. In addition, one of the interferometers may...