ASK THE EXPERT
- Childhood Obesity: Time for Action, Not Complacency. Styne, Dennis Michael // American Family Physician;02/15/99, Vol. 59 Issue 4, p758
Editorial. Discusses childhood obesity in the United States. Epidemic of childhood obesity in the United States; Morbidity in childhood obesity; Treatment of obesity in children; Importance of a nationwide population-based approach to the prevention of childhood obesity.
- When Kids are Overweight. // Body Bulletin;Aug2002, Vol. 3 Issue 8, p5
Presents tips for dealing with obesity in children. Prevalence of obesity in children in the U.S.; Enrollment of children in physical activities; Provision of safe outdoor play area.
- Children in Hospitals ... Monaco, John E. // Pediatrics for Parents;1999, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p6
Provides information on obesity in children.
- Bringing a formidable opponent down to size. Sondike, Stephen B.; Copperman, Nancy M.; Jacobson, Marc S. // Contemporary Pediatrics;May2000, Vol. 17 Issue 5, p132
Discusses obesity management in children. Factors which led to obesity; Complications associated with overweight; Evaluation measures. INSETS: How to control your weight;Two success stories.
- Do fat babies stay fat? Poskitt, E.M.E.; Cole, T.J. // British Medical Journal;1/1/1977, Vol. 1 Issue 6052, p7
Examines the weight and fatness of children in Great Britain. Number of babies included in study; Description of the babies involved; Correlation between the tall stature of the children and their socioeconomic environment.
- Assessment of obesity in a community sample of prepubertal children. Reilly, J J; Savage, S A H; Ruxton, C H S; Kirk, T R // International Journal of Obesity & Related Metabolic Disorders;Feb1999, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p217
The aims of this study were to quantify the effect of obesity definition on estimates of prevalence, and to determine the sensitivity and specificity of three commonly used definitions of overweight/obesity in children: body mass index (BMI) s.d. score>;2.00; BMI s.d. score>;1.04; weight>;120%...
- Avoidable epidemics soar. Defries, Melanie // Nursery World;4/22/2010, Vol. 110 Issue 4216, p8
The article reports that preventable health conditions such as obesity, alcoholism, tooth decay and problems from passive smoking are approaching epidemic levels in children, according to doctors from Alder Hey hospital in Liverpool, England.
- THAT MAGIC TOUCH. // Snack Food & Wholesale Bakery;Jun2003, Vol. 92 Issue 6, pSI-3
Reports developments related to the bakery industry in the U.S. as of June 2003. Sales performance of Sara Lee Bakery Group; Release of the Devonsheer specialty cracker from Old London Foods; Success of Kraft Foods in a suit filed against the company due to alleged contribution of Oreos cookies...
- Baby fat. Darling, Tammy // American Fitness;Jul/Aug95, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p63
Discusses the importance of preventive parenting for lowering the risk for early-onset obesity. Discrimination against obese children; Parents' role in the development of obesity in children; Diseases associated with obesity; Factors that increase susceptibility to obesity; Need for encouraging...