Volunteer Firefighter Act Passes House
- THE $5 BILLION DREAM. Manning, Bill // Fire Engineering;Aug2000, Vol. 153 Issue 8, p4
Focuses on the introduction of a bill to protect firefighters in the United States. Resistance of the bill from various sectors; Obstacles to the bill despite its passage.
- Fire relief working group bill moves forward. Otto, Rebecca // Minnesota Fire Chief;May/Jun2010, Vol. 46 Issue 5, p10
The article discusses the Volunteer Fire Relief Association Working Group bill in Minnesota for the 2009-2010 period. The Working Group aims to determine and address relief association issues, and to make the pension process easier. The 2009-2010 bill included three recommendations that are...
- 2014 MnFAC session summary. Munyon, Sherry // Minnesota Fire Chief;Jul/Aug2014, Vol. 50 Issue 6, p30
The article provides summary of the 214 Minnesota Fire Advisory Committee (MnFAC) session. The are 169 chapters (passed bills), bonding bills, and second omnibus tax bill were sent to Governor Mark Dayton. A legislation providing a $1.3 million supplemental appropriation has been introduced....
- NVFC backs volunteer-oriented legislation. // Fire Engineering;Aug95, Vol. 148 Issue 8, p37
Reports that the National Volunteer Fire Council (NVFC) has announced its support for the Service Award Tax bill. Purpose of the bill; NVFC and Volunteer Section of the International Association of Fire Chiefs' support to the Volunteer Firefighter and Rescue Squad Worker Protection Act.
- VOL RECRUITMENT ACT REINTRODUCED IN HOUSE. // Fire Chief;Feb2011, Vol. 55 Issue 2, p10
The article informs that Representative Peter King and nine co-sponsors reintroduced the Volunteer Emergency Services Recruitment and Retention Act (HR 376), a bill that would clarify the treatment of length of service award programs (LOSAPs) in the federal tax code.
- NVFC sets legislative priorities and elects officers. // Fire Engineering;Jul99, Vol. 152 Issue 7, p39
Reports on the United States National Volunteer Fire Council's (NVFC) adoption of its legislative agenda for the 106th Congress at its Spring Meeting held in Georgia. Introduction of the `Firefighters Investment and Response Enhancement Act'; Federal grant program administered by the US...
- The `80/20' issue: An update. Dittmar, Mary Jane // Fire Engineering;Jul95, Vol. 148 Issue 7, p47
Focuses on the legal status of fire fighters in the United States in accordance with the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) of 1991. Provisions of the act; Cases illustrating conflicts surrounding the issue; Need to modernize the FLSA to adjust to additional duties performed by firemen. INSET:...
- Legal limbo, part 3: Volunteer coverage under the federal Occupational Safety and Health Act. Bentivoglio, John T. // Fire Engineering;Jul96, Vol. 149 Issue 7, p12
Part III. Discusses standards set under the Occupational Safety and Health Act concerning fire service. Benefits of compliance; Conditions imposed on state-plan jurisdictions; Classification of volunteer firefighter as employee. INSET: States operating non-OSHA-approved programs for public...
- NVFC reunites FLSA coalition. // Fire Engineering;Dec96, Vol. 149 Issue 12, p27
Reports on the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Coalition's call for the revision of the FLSA stipulation that paid firefighters cannot volunteer in the same community that pays them. Implications on staffing; Initiatives under consideration.