Rates of Perioperative Complications Associated with Laminectomies in Patients with Achondroplasia
- Accuracy of ultrasound for the diagnosis of deep venous thrombosis in asymptomatic patients after... Wells, Philip S.; Lensing, Anthonie W.A. // Annals of Internal Medicine;1/1/95, Vol. 122 Issue 1, p47
Evaluates the accuracy of ultrasound screening for deep venous thrombosis in patients after orthopedic surgery. Rate of asymptomatic deep venous thrombosis after major orthopedic surgery; Sensitivity and specificity of ultrasound; Positive predictive value of ultrasound.
- Is Bilateral Lower Limb Lengthening Appropriate for Achondroplasia?: Midterm Analysis of the Complications and Quality of Life. Kim, Seung-Ju; Balce, Gracia; Agashe, Mandar; Song, Sang-Heon; Song, Hae-Ryong // Clinical Orthopaedics & Related Research;Feb2012, Vol. 470 Issue 2, p616
Background: Use of the Ilizarov technique for limb lengthening in patients with achondroplasia is controversial, with a high risk of complications balancing cosmetic gains. Although several articles have described the complications of this procedure and satisfaction of patients after surgery, it...
- Overview of Current Trends and the Future of Thromboprophylaxis in Orthopaedic Surgery. Tudor, Francois; Hee, Chris; Singh, Anika; Akinola, Kemi; Cohen, Alexander T. // Vascular Disease Prevention;Apr2007, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p171
Venous thromboembolic disease (VTE) is a well known risk in orthopaedic and trauma surgery. There is no unified opinion on the best method of prophylaxis and so most orthopaedic departments use very different regimes. We provide an overview of the best prophylactic methods available at present...
- Commentary on an article by Jean Wong, MD, FRCPC, et al.: "Topical Application of Tranexamic Acid Reduces Postoperative Blood Loss in Total Knee Arthroplasty: A Randomized, Controlled Trial" Dalury, David F. // Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, American Volume;11/3/2010, Vol. 92-A Issue 15, pe25-1
The author comments on a report within the issue, "Topical Application of Tranexamic Acid Reduces Postoperative Blood Loss in Total Knee Arthroplasty: A Randomized, Controlled Trial," by Jean Wong and colleagues. The study looked at the effects of tranexamic acid antifibrinolytic dosage on blood...
- Reducing postoperative pain without constipation. Foye, Patrick M. // Cortlandt Forum;5/25/96, Vol. 9 Issue 5, p104
Writes that postoperative orthopaedic patients are as limited by constipation as they are by the surgery itself. Etiology; Darvocet as provider of the most pain relief with least effect on bowel motility.
- Links between malnutrition and infection are established. Hansen, Patricia; Parvizi, Javad // Orthopedics Today;Nov2009, Vol. 29 Issue 11, p19
This article discusses the relation between malnutrition and infection in orthopedic surgery.
- Cervical spine surgery and handwriting: A case report. Wellingham-Jones, Patricia; Loboskey, Jeffrey M. // Perceptual & Motor Skills;Dec93, Vol. 77 Issue 3, p1043
Documents the handwriting of a patient who has undergone decompressive laminectomies at the C3-C7 areas. Handwriting examples up to one year after surgery; Lack of quantitative methods of evaluation.
- Therapeutic Index of Anticoagulants for Prevention of Venous Thromboembolism Following Orthopedic Surgery: A Dose-Response Meta-Analysis. Mandema, J W; Boyd, R A; DiCarlo, L A // Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics;Dec2011, Vol. 90 Issue 6, p820
Information on the comparative effectiveness of drugs is crucial for drug development decisions, in addition to being needed by regulators, prescribers, and payers. We have carried out a dose-response meta-analysis of three end points each for efficacy and bleeding for various anticoagulants...
- Challenging the Assumptions About Chemical Thromboprophylaxis in Knee Replacement. Leopold, Seth S. // Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, American Volume;7/20/2011, Vol. 93-A Issue 14, pe81-1
The author discusses an article within the issue, "Venous Thromboembolism in Patients Having Knee Replacement and Receiving Thromboprophylaxis: A Danish Population-Based Follow-up Study," by Alma B. Pedersen and colleagues. The study looked at the incidence of hospital readmission of total knee...