Risks of serious complications and death from smallpox vaccination: A systematic review of the United States experience, 1963-1968
- Some vaccinations halted. Piotrowski, Julie // Modern Healthcare;3/31/2003, Vol. 33 Issue 13, p13
Reports on the decision of federal health officials to stop smallpox vaccination in the U.S., as of March 2003. Cases of heart-related health problems and deaths of several individuals following vaccination; Individuals that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommended to...
- Consent and Compensation: A Social Compact for Smallpox Vaccine Policy in the Event of an Attack. Faden, Ruth R.; Taylor, Holly A.; Seiler, Naomi K. // Clinical Infectious Diseases;6/15/2003, Vol. 36 Issue 12, p1547
In the event of a widespread biological attack involving smallpox, it may not only be morally permissible, but morally obligatory, to dispense with the ordinary requirements of informed consent for vaccination. The government should also commit to educating the public about the vaccine,...
- Few vaccine side effects. MacKenzie, Debora // New Scientist;3/15/2003, Vol. 177 Issue 2386, p5
Reports on the opposition to the vaccination against small pox among hospitals and health workers in the U.S. Reason for the opposition; Side effects of the vaccination; Prevention of the side effects.
- More than 100,000 troops receive smallpox vaccination. Traynor, Kate // American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy;4/1/2003, Vol. 60 Issue 7, p644
Discusses the side-effects of the smallpox vaccination program of the U.S. Department of Defense. Number of troops vaccinated; Autoinoculation; Development of rashes.
- Smallpox Vaccine Adverse Events Among Civilians--United States, February 25-March 3, 2003. // MMWR: Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report;3/7/2003, Vol. 52 Issue 9, p180
Summarizes smallpox vaccine adverse events reported among civilians vaccinated in the U.S. as of February 28, 2003. Surveillance conducted for vaccine-associated adverse events; Classification of the adverse events; Significance of proper vaccination site care.
- Smallpox Vaccine Adverse Events Among Civilians -- United States, 2003. // MMWR: Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report;3/21/2003, Vol. 52 Issue 11, p229
Announces the surveillance on the side effects of the smallpox vaccine given to civilians in the U.S. from January 24 to March 14, 2003.
- Smallpox vaccine. // Reactions Weekly;5/28/2011, Issue 1353, p24
The article describes four case reports of patients who presented with vaccinia after secondary and tertiary transmission from a military service member who received smallpox vaccination on February 23, 2010, published in the April 2011 issue of the journal "Emerging Infectious Diseases."
- VACCINES. Tatum IV, William O.; Kaplan, Peter W.; Jallon, Pierre // Epilepsy A to Z: A Concise Encyclopedia;2009, p354
An encyclopedia entry for "vaccines" in relation to epilepsy is presented. It relates the alleged role of pertussis vaccines in the occurrence of encephalopathy, refractory epilepsy, and cognitive and intellectual impairment. Encephalitis and epilepsy may also be caused by smallpox vaccines. It...
- Smallpox vaccine. // Reactions Weekly;1/10/2009, Issue 1234, p32
The article describes the case of a 40-year-old man who developed encephalitis after secondary vaccination with smallpox vaccine. Aside from the smallpox vaccine, the man received hepatitis A vaccine, typhoid vaccine, and live influenza virus vaccine to prepare for military duty. He had received...