Opening Up 'QAMs' for Savings
- CONNECTING THE DOTS: SWITCHING AND VOD. Ellis, Leslie // Multichannel News;3/27/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 13, p41
Discusses the similarities between switched digital video and video on demand. Information on the switched broadcast techniques; Background on quadrature amplitude modulation; Details of the features of switched digital video and video on demand which overlap.
- Session Resource Management: How to Slice the Pie. Hardin, Glen // Communications Technology;May2005, Vol. 22 Issue 5, p34
The article focuses on session resource management (SRM). Most of the current SRMs provided by the various video-on-demand (VOD) vendors implement a "least loaded" algorithm when determining where to set up the next VOD session. This implementation allows the system to balance sessions across...
- Digital video basics. Robin, Michael // Broadcast Engineering (World Edition);Jan2006, Vol. 48 Issue 1, p18
The article provides information on digital video. It explains the two requirements of the sampling frequency of the video signal. The pulse amplitude modulation results in a sequence of pulses whose amplitude is proportional to the amplitude of the sampled analog signal at the sampling instant....
- How Modulation Works. // IT Professional;Mar/Apr1999, Vol. 1 Issue 2, p24
Discusses how modulation works. Characteristics of analog waveforms; Representation by analog signals of digital data; Overview of quadrature amplitude modulation.
- Elements of SDV. // Communications Technology;Oct2008, Vol. 25 Issue 10, Special section p8
The article offers information on several Switched Digital Video (SDV) elements including switched digital video session manager (SDVSM), edge resource manager and Edge quadrature amplitude modulations (QAMs) and SDV client. The SDVSM utilizes switched channels such as multicast address and...
- High resonance frequency of push-pull distributed feedback lasers. Chen, Jianyao; Maciejko, Roman; Makino, Toshihiko // Journal of Applied Physics;6/15/1996, Vol. 79 Issue 12, p8914
Presents a small signal analysis on the high resonance frequency of push-pull distributed feedback (DFB) lasers. Information on the structure of the DFB laser; Comparison of the amplitude modulation response between the DFB device modulated as a single-contact laser and a two-contact push-pull...
- From Broadcast to Unicast. Adams, Michael // Communications Technology;Jun2008, Vol. 25 Issue 6, p18
The article reports on the delivery of switched digital video (SDV) and network personal video recorder (nPVR) services by the cable television industry in the U.S. It states that the deployment of SDV and nPVR models aim to address the increasing demand of customers concerning enhanced digital...
- AM. // American Heritage Student Science Dictionary;2009, p12
A definition for the abbreviation "AM" is presented. It refers to amplitude modulation.
- Velocities of Nanometer-Scale Displacements Determined Using the Autodyne Signal Spectrum of a Quantum-Confined Semiconductor Structure Laser. Usanov, D.A.; Skripal, A.V.; Kamyshanski&icaron;, A.S. // Technical Physics Letters;Apr2004, Vol. 30 Issue 4, p295
We have studied the possibility of using an autodyne signal of a quantum-confined semiconductor structure laser for determining the velocities of motions on a nanometer scale. It is suggested to normalize the laser autodyne signal with respect to additional mechanical oscillations induced in the...