PLUS TESTING, TREATING, REACTING: Food allergies explained
- THE PEANUT PUZZLE. Groopman, Jerome // New Yorker;2/7/2011, Vol. 86 Issue 47, p26
The article discusses the increase in food allergies among children and infants in the U.S. It addresses the conventional theory that holds that children are less likely to become allergic to foods such as milk, eggs, nuts, and seafood if they avoid them as infants. The opinion of Dr. Hugh...
- NUTRITION NOTES. // RN;Jan90, Vol. 53 Issue 1, p80
Presents updates on nutrition as of January 1990. Dangers of a hypo-allergenic diet in children; Risk faced by obese patients on a very low-calorie diet.
- Food link to asthma. Segell, Michael // Cosmopolitan;Jun96, Vol. 220 Issue 6, p48
Reports on the link of food allergies to asthma. Testing of asthmatics who consumed food to which they knew they were allergic; Development of symptoms that are a prelude to an asthma attack; Decline in lung function.
- Ask Doctor Cory. SerVaas, Cory // Children's Playmate Magazine;Jul/Aug95, Vol. 67 Issue 5, p32
Answers health-related questions sent in by readers. Daily nutrition requirements; Allergic reactions to certain foods.
- Food allergies: The EFA Connection. Karst, Karlene // Alive: Canada's Natural Health & Wellness Magazine;Sep2003, Issue 251, p116
Discusses the health benefits of essential fatty acids (EFA). Helpfulness of EFA in enhancing the immune system and improving many conditions ranging form arthritis to eczema; Efficacy of EFA in giving the body the natural defence mechanism it needs; List of common allergic foods.
- Food hypersensitivity and intolerance. Ackerman, Lowell // Dog World;Dec96, Vol. 81 Issue 12, p40
Expounds on treatment strategies for dogs suffering from adverse food reactions. Differentiation of hypersensitivity and intolerance; Misconceptions of adverse food reactions among dog owners; Timing of allergy; Clinical presentation; Contributing factors; Food trials; Hypoallergenic diet.
- PROTECT YOUR BABY FROM NUT ALLERGIES. Roan, Shari; Strote, Mary Ellen // Fit Pregnancy;Feb2005 Special Issue, Vol. 11 Issue 6B, p14
Recommends strategies to protect infants from peanut allergies. Increase in the number of children with peanut allergies in 2002; Importance of avoidance of eating peanuts among pregnant women and breast feeding mother who came from allergy-prone families; Need for women who came from...
- All about food allergies. Inge, Karen // Australian Women's Weekly;Mar2009, Vol. 79 Issue 3, p134
The article presents questions and answers related to food allergies including the difference between a food allergy and an intolerance, the foods which most commonly cause allergic reactions and how one can compensate for missing nutrients.
- exclusion diet. Peters, Michael // BMA A-Z Family Medical Encyclopedia;2004, p285
An encyclopedia entry for "exclusion diet" is presented. It refers to a dietary program used to identify a specific food intolerance or food allergy. Individuals under an exclusion diet program are initially food that is limited to a very restricted choice until symptoms improve. The...