HELPING MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS LEARN WITH SOCIAL STUDIES TEXTS
- SCHOLASTIC News Teacher's Edition, Vol. 68 No. 21, April 3, 2006. // Scholastic News -- Edition 4 (Teacher's Edition);4/3/2006, Vol. 68 Issue 21, pT1
This journal presents curricular ideas for teaching science, critical thinking, social studies, reading comprehension and grammar.
- Teaching Cause--Effect Text Structure Through Social Studies Content to At-Risk Second Graders. Williams, Joanna P.; Nubla-Kung, Abigail M.; Pollini, Simonne; Stafford, K. Brooke; Garcia, Amaya; Snyder, Anne E. // Journal of Learning Disabilities;Mar/Apr2007, Vol. 40 Issue 2, p111
This study evaluated the effectiveness of a comprehension program integrated with social studies instruction designed for at-risk second graders. The program included instruction in cause-effect text structure, emphasizing clue words, generic questions, graphic organizers, and the close analysis...
- Putting Reading First: Teaching Social Studies in Elementary Classrooms. Boyle-Baise, Marilynne; Ming-Chu Hsu; Johnson, Shaun; Serriere, Stephanie Cayot; Stewart, Dorshell // Theory & Research in Social Education;Summer2008, Vol. 36 Issue 3, p233
In this case study, the authors describe and analyze social studies education in 13 classrooms across six elementary schools in the Midwest. Reading and reading achievement dominated instructional time and intent across the schools. In the primary grades, social studies was pre-empted by...
- THE HISTORICAL SCENE INVESTIGATION (HSI) PROJECT: EXAMINING THE USE OF CASE BASED HISTORICAL INSTRUCTION IN THE FIFTH GRADE SOCIAL STUDIES CLASSROOM. Owings Swan, Kathleen; Hofer, Mark; Locascio, David // International Journal of Social Education;Fall/Winter2007-2008, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p70
The article discusses a research on the historical evidentiary reasoning of fifth graders following studies based on historical scene instruction (HSI). The study involved the participation of fifth-grade social studies classrooms in HSI cases, which include "Starving Time" in an early Jamestown...
- Great new picture books to teach social studies. Lindquist, Tarry // Instructor-Intermediate;Aug97, Vol. 107 Issue 1, p80
Presents information on a number of picture books for use by teachers, in educating children in social studies. `Nobody Owns the Sky: The Story of Brave Bessie Coleman,' by Reeve Lindbergh; `The Story of Little Babaji,' by Helen Bannerman; Information on activities that can be used with these...
- Social studies comes alive with your computer. // Instructor-Intermediate;Oct97, Vol. 107 Issue 3, p64
Presents information on different social studies projects for grade school which use the computer. Details on the programs; Recommended grades.
- Reviewing skills and knowledge is as straightforward as ABC. Lindquist, Tarry // Instructor-Primary;Apr97, Vol. 106 Issue 7, p60
Focuses on the use of ABC charts in reviewing the skills and knowledge of elementary students on social studies terms. Drawing of a picture related to the unit word; Ideas represented by the pictures in the ABC charts.
- SCHOLASTIC ACTION TEACHER'S EDITION Vol. 33, No. 13, APRIL 19, 2010. Caroleo, Christy Damio // Scholastic Action (Teacher's Edition);4/19/2010, Vol. 33 Issue 13, pT1
The article presents lesson plans for middle school education in the U.S. which teach students about contractions, cause and effect, and reading comprehension.
- Carnival Activity Booth. Sassman, Charlotte // Instructor;Aug99, Vol. 109 Issue 1, p8
Presents information on a class project to explore the customs and culture of Mexico. Participation of the schoolchildren; Lessons learned by the children; Basic research technique for younger grades.