Japanese brokerage woes help bond prices
- Sinking sun? Lawrence, Adam // Works Management;Dec97, Vol. 50 Issue 12, p3
The author comments about the issue regarding the collapse of Japanese stockbroking giant Yamaichi. He discusses that other Far Eastern financial institutions have also run up huge debts with a possibility of further failure. He believes that financial markets have little relation to everyday...
- Collapse of Yamaichi forces money manager to hunt for new owner. Price, Margaret // Pensions & Investments;12/8/1997, Vol. 25 Issue 25, p1
Focuses on the proposed sale of the Yamaichi International Capital Management (YICM) company, following the collapse of parent Yamaichi Securities. Detailed information on the failure of Yamaichi Securities; Comments by Charles Friedberg, senior investment analyst with SEI Investments.
- Yamaichi hid big losses before failing. Flagg, Michael // American Banker;11/26/1997, Vol. 162 Issue 228, p22
Reports that Yamaichi Securities Co. has revealed previously hidden losses before going out of business. Total hidden losses; Impact of the closure on the financial industry in Japan; Efforts of the Japanese government to protect depositors and maintain investors' confidence after the Yamaichi...
- Regional review: Japan. // Asian Business Review;Oct97, p11
Provides various news in Japan. Percentage rise of trade surplus for July 1997; Information on Yamaichi Securities company which is on the verge of ceasing to be one of the country's `Big Four' brokerage.
- Yamichi folds. // Futures: News, Analysis & Strategies for Futures, Options & Deri;Jan1998, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p12
Reports that Yamaichi Securities has closed down in November 1997. Reaction of government officials on the closure of Japan's large banks; Closure of the Yamaichi International America Inc.
- From the world's headlines. // Time International (South Pacific Edition);12/08/97, Issue 49, p15
Presents quotes from editorialists contemplating the fall of Japanese brokerage house Yamaichi Securities and speculating on its impact. Quotes from Yomiuri Shimbun, Japan; `The Guardian,' Britain; `South China Morning Post,' Hong Kong; More.
- Big broker fails, shakes Japanese. Treece, James B. // Automotive News;12/1/1997, Vol. 71 Issue 5742, p69
Looks at the effect of Yamaichi Securities Co.'s bankruptcy on Japanese consumer confidence. The number of workers losing their jobs at Yamaichi; Other high-profile bankruptcies, including Hokkaido Takushoku Bank Ltd. and Sanyo Securities Co.; The major financial-sector failure occurring as...
- Strike three prompts Tokyo to respond. Robins, Brian // BRW;12/01/97, Vol. 19 Issue 46, p28
Reports that the closure of three major financial institutions in Japan in November of 1997 has confirmed long-held suspicion many foreigners have toward the stability of Japan's financial system. Few similarities between the institutions; Japan premium's additional pressure on the financial...
- YAMAICHI SECURITIES: Building partnership in Asia. // Fortune;8/7/1995, Vol. 132 Issue 3, pS-26
The article reports on the long-term partnerships established by Japanese securities trading firm Yamaichi Securities Co. The company's subsidiaries in Singapore provide oversight and assistance for its growing activities in member-countries of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations. It has...