Attacks Rise Again in 1999
- Piracy Gets Organized. Parker, John // Traffic World;2/11/2002, Vol. 266 Issue 6, p34
Reports the decline of the number of pirate attacks against commercial ships in Paris, France. Increase in the number of ship hijackings; Involvement of organized crimes in ship hijackings; Influence of hijackings in the possibility of terrorist attacks.
- The Pirate Police. Kowalski, Kathiann M. // Odyssey;Jul/Aug2008, Vol. 17 Issue 6, p24
The article reports on the attacks of the pirates and the approaches made for the prevention of the attacks.
- Pirate Attacks Down At Year's End, 2011. Singh, Sugam // Journal of International Peace Operations;Jan/Feb2012, Vol. 7 Issue 4, p23
The article reports on the decline in the pirate attacks in November 2011 compared to same month in 2010.
- MODERN-DAY PIRATES. // Pacific Yachting;Jan2009, Vol. 51 Issue 1, p21
The article reports that the Gulf of Aden which runs between Yemen and Somalia was considered the pirate capital of the world. It is claimed that over 97 ships were being attacked in 2008, 40 of which were actually hijacked. A supertanker which carries $100 million worth of crude oil was...
- Maritime hijackings reached 'unprecedented' levels in 2008. // Asia Insurance Review;Mar2009, p28
The article reports on the increase in maritime hijacking in 2008. The ICC International Maritime Bureau (IMB) Piracy Reporting Centre (PRC) has recorded a total of 293 incidents for piracy against ships, up more than 11 percent in 2007. The increase was credited to the number of attacks in the...
- Piracy scourge unabated. Cottrill, Ken // Traffic World;8/05/96, Vol. 247 Issue 5, p27
Focuses on concerns with piracy on merchant ships in Southeast Asia and Brazil. Evidence of piracy incidents; Attacks in Brazil and the southern Philippines; Reluctance of shipping lines to report piracy incidents to avoid costs and publicity; Kinds of piracy attacks.
- Pirates Seize Tanker, 11 Indians Captured. // India -- West;5/18/2012, Vol. 37 Issue 26, pA35
The article presents information on the hijacking of the vessel MT Smyrni with 11 Indians and 15 others on board in the Arabian Sea by Somali pirates on May 10, 2012.
- Treasure Island. Elam, Sarah // Cincinnati;Aug2007, Vol. 40 Issue 11, p63
The article reviews the exhibition "Real Pirates: The Untold Story of the Whydah," at the Cincinnati Museum Center, Cincinnati, Ohio, through August 2, 2007.
- Modern marauders. Cottrill, Ken // Popular Mechanics;Dec97, Vol. 174 Issue 12, p78
Provides information on high technology weapons and equipments used by modern pirates. Stories of people attacked by pirates; Estimated profit of a single ship hijack; Steady growth of piracy attacks on merchant vessels.