- Full Speed Ahead? Gardyn, Rebecca // American Demographics;Oct2001, Vol. 23 Issue 10, p12
Focuses on an international survey conducted in February and March 2001, regarding consumers' fears of Internet fraud. List of concerns cited by the respondents; Attitudes toward online activities involving money; Effect of such fears on the growth of electronic commerce.
- Bitcoins auf rasanter Achterbahnfahrt. // Die Bank;jun2013, Issue 6, p59
The article discusses several aspects of the electronic currency Bitcoins (BTC), including fluctuations in its exchange rate, its technological foundations and background, and fraudulent activities involving BTC payments in electronic commerce.
- Credit card cons crimp cyberspace. Fitzgerald, Kate // Crain's Chicago Business;04/30/2001, Vol. 24 Issue 18, pSR4
Reports the prevalence of credit card fraud on the Internet. Relation of electronic commerce proliferation and fraudulent transactions; Techniques used in Internet fraud; Software designed to provide protection against credit card fraud.
- Hope or Hype: On the Viability of Escrow Services as Trusted Third Parties in Online Auction Environments. Xiaorui Hu; Zhangxi Lin; Whinston, Andrew B.; Han Zhang // Information Systems Research;Sep2004, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p236
Internet fraud has been on the rise in online consumer-to-consumer (C2C) auction markets, posing serious challenges to people's trust in electronic markets. Among various remedies to promote trust and reduce trader's risk, online escrow service has been proposed as a trusted third party to...
- Consumer and Business Deception on the Internet: Content Analysis of Documentary Evidence. Grazioli, Stefano; Jarvenpaa, Sirkka L. // International Journal of Electronic Commerce;Summer2003, Vol. 7 Issue 4, p93
Internet deception threatens the sustainability of Internet commerce because it undermines trust. This paper investigates the deceptive tactics available on the Internet and some of the factors that make them more or less likely to be adopted. An established theory of deception is applied to...
- Fighting back against online auction fraud. Goldsborough, Reid // Public Relations Tactics;Nov2003, Vol. 10 Issue 11, p16
Reports on the creation of the eBay vigilantes group as the response of eBay Inc. to online auction fraud in the U.S. Tasks of the group; Details on the tactics used by the vigilantes; Estimates on the annual increase of online fraud.
- Merchants Squeezed. Perdue, Lewis // Interactive Week;12/4/2000, Vol. 7 Issue 49, p16
Offers a look at how electronic retailers are being pressured by credit card frauds and cybershoplifters in the United States, that lead to their business loss during the holiday season of year 2000. Case of Le Anne Crounse, owner of Best NFL Store; Fraud rate of credit cards; How electronic...
- www.Going-Going-Gone! // Consumer Reports;May2001, Vol. 66 Issue 5, p11
Evaluates 12 online auction sites and offers advice about previewing goods, types of fraud, and tips for buyers. Topic of the seller's feedback rating, corrupt practices, and Internet addiction; Recommendations for online auctions. INSETS: Online auctions;Doing your bidding;Where to turn for help.
- Buyer Beware--But Be Brave--When Shopping Online. Goldsborough, Reid // Community College Week;09/18/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 3, p11
Offers a look at the advent of Internet shopping in the United States. Trend in electronic commerce; Impact of electronic commerce on the economy; Problems associated with electronic commerce; Information on Web sites that track fraudulent Web businesses.