- Remedies for roll casts. Jaworowski, Ed // Fly Fisherman;Jul96, Vol. 27 Issue 5, p62
Presents techniques on how to roll cast more line with less effort during fly fishing. Information about the typical roll cast; Mechanical principles that determine every cast; Reasons why anglers have difficulty in managing roll cast; Roll-cast remedy that can improve fly fishing.
- The power roll cast. Randolph, John // Fly Fisherman;Jul96, Vol. 27 Issue 5, p66
Presents a technique on how to add line and distance to a roll cast by using a single haul during a fly fisherman's speed-up-and-stop-stroke.
- In defense of fly fishers. Hanneman, W.W. // Fly Fisherman;Feb97, Vol. 28 Issue 2, p24
Refutes Chris Proctor's claims against fly fishers in his article `New Perspectives in Fly Fishing' in the December 1996 issue of `Fly Forum.' Inconsistencies committed by fly fisheries, according to Proctor; Premises promoted by true environmentalists; Fly fishers' position on the...
- Fly fishing growing. // Fly Fisherman;Feb97, Vol. 28 Issue 2, p38
Reports on the increase in number of fly fishers in the United States, based on the results of a nationwide survey by the American Sportfishing Association (ASA) and the North American Fly Tackle Trade Association (NAFTA). Price of the report containing the results of the survey.
- Skaneateles Creek. Coapman, Robert J. // Fly Fisherman;Feb97, Vol. 28 Issue 2, p48
Describes the Skaneateles Creek, a fishery in New York State's Finger Lakes region. How the creek recovered after federal and state laws stopped the pollution of stream; Sections of interest to fly fishers; Effective tackle and fly patterns for fishing in the area.
- The Gunnison River Basin. Engle, Ed // Fly Fisherman;Feb97, Vol. 28 Issue 2, p64
Describes the basin streams in Colorado's Gunnison River that are ideal for fly fishing. Artificial flies that imitate the stonefly species in the area; Areas accessible to the public; Equipment ideal for fly fishing in the area.
- Wet-fly techniques. Hughes, Dave // Fly Fisherman;Mar1997, Vol. 28 Issue 3, p78
Presents a discussion on the various wet-fly fishing techniques. Includes upstream dead-drift wet-fly technique; Nemes mended swing; Hidy subsurface swing; Greased-line method.
- Double trouble. Veneklasen, Garrett // Fly Fisherman;Mar1997, Vol. 28 Issue 3, p108
Focuses on double-hackle patterns in fly fishing. Description of well known double hackles; Advice on double-hackle nymphing; Selection of the fly for this technique.
- Journal entries. Lyons, Nick // Fly Fisherman;Mar1997, Vol. 28 Issue 3, p136
Presents excerpts from the author's fly-fishing diary. Author's praise of Royal Coachman flies; Benefits from superhighways; Cautious nature of old fish which have been hooked several times; Experience of losing a large fish; Fly fishing etiquette; Reflections on a genetically engineered...