A practical idea--or just a lot of wind?
- Aerodynamic reefer launched. Swallow, Kevin // Motor Transport;9/18/2008, p10
The article features the Fuelsaver trailer introduced by reefer manufacturer Gray & Adams based in Scotland. The company describes its new trailer to be capable of cutting fuel consumption by 10 percent as well as characterized by tapered side-skirts, rounded cappings at its back and a tapered...
- Keep your head down. Weatherley, Brian // Commercial Motor;1/19/2012, Vol. 217 Issue 5467, p40
The article presents the insights of owner-driver Nick Smith on the skeletal trailer from Dennison Trailers Ltd. that reduces fuel consumptions. Smith mentions that his trailer had a 455/40 tyres from Goodyear Luxembourg Tires SA which helped him to run more than 100 miles. He adds that it could...
- DOE assigns Navistar a key role in developing aerodynamic trailers. // Refrigerated Transporter;Jan2009, Vol. 44 Issue 8, p15
The article reports that the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) has appointed Navistar Inc. to join its alternative-vehicle technology project. DOE stresses that Navistar will work with other companies in the development of aerodynamic trailers which will be installed in the International ProStar...
- Larger Props Start With the Engine. Miles, Adrian // Professional Boatbuilder;Aug/Sep2014, Issue 150, p55
In this article, the author discusses the importance of big propellers in increasing the efficiency of boats by reducing down the shaft speed and fuel consumption.
- Do You Know Jack? // Boating World;Jul/Aug2010, Vol. 31 Issue 7, p20
The article offers guidelines for using a jack plate in a single out-board-powered boat. It explains that the device can be used in decreasing the drag and draft and in improving efficiency of the propeller for extra speed and less fuel consumption. To rig the device, it recommends removing the...
- Teardrop camper. Butler, Paul; Butler, Marya // Outdoor Life;Oct93, Vol. 189 Issue 4, p90
Provides tips for building a camp trailer for the hunting season. Basis on the aluminum teardrop-style campers in the 1940s; Materials needed; Insulation with sheet Styrofoam. INSETS: Building plans.;Building instructions..
- Mega-trailer. // Overdrive;Nov97, Vol. 37 Issue 11, p11
Presents a mega-trailer from French heavy trailer manufacturer Nicolas Industries for a customer in Norway. Design to carry electrical transformers; Maximum amount of load in 24-axle and 96-tire system.
- No dock-walking on this air. Hartley, Paul // Overdrive;Nov97, Vol. 37 Issue 11, p36
Features a highway parallelogram air suspension system designed for trailers. Difference from traditional beam air suspensions; Suitability for dry van, reefer and flatbed applications; Demand for `one-stop shopping' specifications in trailer undercarriages.
- Design eliminates tanker jack-knifing. // Machine Design;8/13/93, Vol. 65 Issue 16, p14
Reports on the review of the design of the double trailer rig due to high accident rates involving B-train tank trailers used in the oil industry. Tendency of the three points of articulation to increase the chances of jack-knifing under certain circumstances; Development of a design that has...