A public health response to the methamphetamine epidemic: the implementation of contingency management to treat methamphetamine dependence
- A Comparison of Registered and Unregistered Female Sex Workers in Tijuana, Mexico. Sirotin, Nicole; Strathdee, Stefanie A.; Lozada, Remedios; Nguyen, Lucie; Gallardo, Manuel; Vera, Alicia; Patterson, Thomas L. // Public Health Reports;Jul/Aug2010 Supplement 4, Vol. 125, p101
Objective. Sex work is regulated in Tijuana, Mexico, but only half of the city's female sex workers (FSWs) are registered with the municipal health department, which requires regular screening for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). We examined...
- Risk Factors for Serogroup C Meningococcal Disease during Outbreak among Men who Have Sex with Men, New York City, New York, USA. Ridpath, Alison; Greene, Sharon K.; Robinson, Byron F.; Weiss, Don; the Meningococcal Investigation Team // Emerging Infectious Diseases;Aug2015, Vol. 21 Issue 8, p1458
Risk factors for illness during a serogroup C meningococcal disease outbreak among men who have sex with men in New York City, New York, USA, in 2012-2013 included methamphetamine and cocaine use and sexually transmitted infections. Outbreak investigations should consider routinely capturing...
- No increase in HIV or sexually transmissible infection testing following a social marketing campaign among men who have sex with men. Guy, R.; Goller, J.; Leslie, D.; Thorpe, R.; Grierson, J.; Batrouney, C.; Kennedy, M.; Lewis, J.; Fairley, C.; Ginige, S.; Zablotska, I.; Hellard, M. // Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health;May2009, Vol. 63 Issue 5, p391
Background: A social marketing campaign ran in 2004 in the Victoria to increase rates of HIV/sexually transmissible infection (STI) testing among men having sex with men (MSM). Methods: To evaluate the initiative data from HIV sentinel surveillance, laboratory data on testing for HIV/STIs and...
- Prioritising sexual health. Barton, Simon // Practice Nurse;4/25/2008, Vol. 35 Issue 8, p7
The author reflects on the importance of regular check-ups for common sexually transmitted infections (STIs). STIs are a public health priority because of their increasing prevalence and the associated morbidity. He says improved diagnostic technology means that testing in primary care is easier...
- Use of the Internet as a public health intervention tool for an outbreak of syphilis. Whyte, Barry // Bulletin of the World Health Organization;2000, Vol. 78 Issue 10, p1281
Examines the use of the Internet as a public health intervention tool for an outbreak of syphilis in San Francisco, California. Importance to disease awareness; Significance of Internet chat rooms to syphilis infections; Views of Doctor Jeffrey Klausner on disease awareness campaigns through...
- Syphilis and Congenital Syphilis in the United States, 1985 to 1988. // Clinical Pediatrics;Apr1989, Vol. 28 Issue 4, p170
Reports on the case of syphilis and congenital syphilis in the United States from 1985 to 1988.
- HEALTH BEAT. // New Orleans Magazine;May2008, Vol. 42 Issue 8, p53
The article reports on the Center for Disease Control study, which examines the U.S. adolescent sexually transmitted disease prevalence.
- Phase specific strategies for the prevention, control, and elimination of sexually transmitted infections: case study in Lambeth, Southwark, and Lewisham, London, UK. N Low // Sexually Transmitted Infections;Apr2002, Vol. 78 Issue 0, pi133
Lambeth, Southwark, and Lewisham are three London boroughs that probably have the worst set of indicators of sexual health in the United Kingdom. This area is used to illustrate an urban epidemic of bacterial sexually transmitted infections in an industrialised country with well developed public...
- India wakes up to AIDS. Sattaur, Omar // New Scientist;11/2/91, Vol. 132 Issue 1793, p25
Focuses on AIDS cases in India as of 1991. Impact of the disease on developing countries; Efforts of public health authorities to arrest the spread of the disease; Profile of high-risk groups; Statistics on AIDS and HIV positive persons in the country; Correlation of AIDS and drug use.