Albinism in Africa as a public health issue
- What was the matter with Dr Spooner? Jay, Barrie // British Medical Journal (Clinical Research Edition);10/17/1987, Vol. 295 Issue 6604, p942
Focuses on oculocutaneous albinism and its relationship with dysgraphia and dyspraxia. Definition of albinism; Analysis on the causes of visual problems of albino babies; Distinction between tyrosine negative and tyrosine positive oculocutaneous albinism.
- More Than Skin Deep: Genetics, Clinical Manifestations, and Diagnosis of Albinism. Gittler, Julia Klein; Marion, Robert // Einstein Journal of Biology & Medicine;2014/2015, Vol. 30 Issue 1/2, p41
Although albinism may be considered a simple diagnosis, its clinical manifestations, which include hypopigmentation of the skin, hair, and eyes and ocular abnormalities such as nystagmus and reduced visual acuity, are often subtle and initially missed. In oculocutaneous albinism, there is wide...
- ALBINISMO OCULOCUTÃNEO: ALTERACIONES VISUALES, OCULARES Y MANEJO OPTOMÃ‰TRICO. Molina Montoya, Nancy Piedad // Investigaciones ANDINA;Sep2011, Vol. 13 Issue 23, p324
Introduction: the oculocutÃ¡neous albinism is a group of autosomic recessive disorders related to the failure in the melanin biosynthesis characterized by a generalized reduction in pigmentation of hair, skin and eyes. This article summarizes visual and ocular vision alterations and...
- Light-Colored Child Raises Dark Doubts. Dunbar, Mark T. // Review of Optometry;2/15/2004, Vol. 141 Issue 2, p117
Reports a case ocular albinism in a child who lacks pigmentation within the retinal pigment epithelium. Visual acuity; Albinism as a hereditary group of disorders; Presence of nystagmus and reduced acuity.
- Change in Visual Acuity in Albinism in the Early School Years. Dijkstal, Johanna M.; Cooley, San-San; Holleschau, Ann M.; King, Richard A.; Summers, C. Gail // Journal of Pediatric Ophthalmology & Strabismus;Mar/Apr2012, Vol. 49 Issue 2, p81
The article discusses a research study on the improvement of binocular best-corrected visual acuity (B-BCVA) in early school years of albinism patients and its relationship to ocular pigment, type of albinism or appearance of the macula. Examined were patients with albinism from 5.5-9 years on...
- Profile of albinism with low vision and improvement of visual acuity with the adaptation of optical and/or electronic resources. de Lemos Pereira, Diego Fleury; Araujo, Evandro Lopes; Duarte Patuzzo, Fernanda Viana // Revista Brasileira de Oftalmologia;2016, Vol. 75 Issue 6, p456
Objective:Determine the profile of albinism in Low Vision Department of Benjamin Constant Institute. Highlight the follow-up, the frequency of follow-up, and the visual improvement with the adaptation of optical and / or electronic resources. Methods: A retrospective study with data from 77...
- Changes in Epidermal Forward Scattering Absorption after UVA or UVA-UVB Irradiation. Agin, Patricia Poh; Rose III, Arthur P.; Lane, Cynthia C.; Akin, Frank J.; Sayre, Robert M. // Journal of Investigative Dermatology;Mar1981, Vol. 76 Issue 3, p174
Groups of Skh-1 (albino) and Skh-2 (pigmented) hairless mice were irradiated for 125 hr using a modified GE F8T5-BL black light with and without a 3-mm plate glass filter to remove light below 320 nm. The epidermis was examined by forward scattering and by histological section postirradiation at...
- What does the fly really see? Anderson, Moray // Pest Control;Jul2003, Vol. 71 Issue 7, p26
Focuses on the complexity of fly vision. Captivation of light in the eyes of insects by structures called ommatidia; Number of sensory cells; Response to ultraviolet light.
- The fungus Gliocephalotrichum simplex as a source of abundant, extracellular melanin for biotechnological applications. Jalmi, Pratibha; Bodke, Pranali; Wahidullah, Solimabi; Raghukumar, Seshagiri // World Journal of Microbiology & Biotechnology;Feb2012, Vol. 28 Issue 2, p505
Melanins are commonly produced by bacteria, fungi, plants and animals, where they play a role in many biological functions. They protect organisms against UV and ionizing radiations. Their potential applications in biotechnological industries such as cosmetics and paints, where UV protection is...