Cigarette smoking and tooth loss experience among young adults: a national record linkage study
- Association of Maternal Smoking and Alcohol Consumption with Young Adults Cannabis Use: A Prospective Study. Mohammad Reza Hayatbakhsh; Rosa Alati; Delyse M. Hutchinson; Konrad Jamrozik; Jake M. Najman; Abdullah A. Mamun; Michael OCallaghan; William Bor // American Journal of Epidemiology;Aug2007, Vol. 166 Issue 5, p592
This 2006 study examined 1) whether maternal use of tobacco and consumption of alcohol when a child is 5 and 14 years of age predict cannabis use in young adults, and 2) whether this association is explained by possible confounding or mediating factors. Data were taken from a prospective birth...
- The association between serious psychological distress and emergency department utilization among young adults in the USA. Lin, Min-Ting; Burgess, James; Carey, Kathleen // Social Psychiatry & Psychiatric Epidemiology;Jun2012, Vol. 47 Issue 6, p939
Purpose: Psychological problems could lead to several adverse health outcomes and were strongly correlated with cigarette smoking and alcohol consumption. In addition, patients treated in EDs were vulnerable to psychological problems. We therefore examined the population-level association...
- Predictive value of readiness, importance, and confidence in ability to change drinking and smoking. Bertholet, Nicolas; Gaume, Jacques; Faouzi, Mohamed; Gmel, Gerhard; Daeppen, Jean-Bernard // BMC Public Health;2012, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p708
Background: Visual analog scales (VAS) are sometimes used to assess change constructs that are often considered critical for change. Aims of Study: 1.) To determine the association of readiness to change, importance of changing and confidence in ability to change alcohol and tobacco use at...
- Drugs. // Youth Studies;Nov90, Vol. 9 Issue 4, p6
Provides information on drugs, young smokers, cards and young drinkers in Australia. Adolescents who experiment moderately with drugs; Aim of the Victorian Government's `proof of age'; Reports on alcohol problems in Darwin, Australia; Alcoholic drinks of young adults of Queensland.
- Youths admit spring is time to drink and drive. // Alcoholism Report;Apr96, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p6
Reports on the results of a survey of young adults conducted by the American Medical Association (AMA) in 1996. Alcohol drinking activities during spring vacations; Comments on the survey results from Nancy Dickey, who chairs the AMA.
- Alcohol taxation and teenage drinking. Scott, Ian // Injury Prevention (1353-8047);Jun2003, Vol. 9 Issue 2, p168
Reports on the linkage of the rise in drinking among young people in Australia with the rise in alcoholic drinks that taste like soft drinks and tax changes that have made such drinks cheaper.
- Take steps to curb underage drinking. Wallace, Stephen // Clarendon Enterprise (TX);1/14/2010, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p2
The article reports that several steps should be taken to prevent underage drinking that poses problem to the health and safety of young people.
- TAKE A CHILL PILL. // Time International (South Pacific Edition);11/3/2003, Issue 43, p79
The article focuses on some studies on the role of hostility in the risk of developing a disease. A 15-year study of 3,300 young adults found that hostility and impatience nearly doubled their risk of developing high blood pressure. Another, even longer-term study linked hostility to smoking and...
- Adolescent precursors of cannabis dependence: findings from the Victorian Adolescent Health. Coffey, Carolyn; Carlin, John B.; Lynskey, Michael; Ning Li; Patton, George C. // British Journal of Psychiatry;Apr2003, Vol. 182, p330
Background Dependence increases the likelihood of adverse consequences of cannabis use, but its aetiology is poorly understood. Aims To examine adolescent precursors of young-adult cannabis dependence. Method Putative risk factors were measured in a representative sample (s=2032) of secondary...