Response rates for providing a blood specimen for HIV testing in a population-based survey of young adults in Zimbabwe
- Three people infected with HIV from blood transfusion. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);04/26/97, Vol. 314 Issue 7089, p1222
Reports that blood from an HIV positive donor in England escaped detection by the standard screening methods. Three patients' contracting of HIV infection.
- Sexual and reproductive health in a UK cohort of young adults perinatally infected with HIV. Croucher, Adam P.; Jose, Sophie; McDonald, Susan; Foster, Caroline; Fidler, Sarah // Sexually Transmitted Infections;Aug2013, Vol. 89 Issue 5, p392
Objectives To assess sexual health and behaviour outcomes of young adults with perinatally acquired HIV-1 (PaHIV), and audit sexual health interventions against published standards of care. Methods Retrospective case note audit of 16-25-yearolds with PaHIV attending a dedicated transition clinic...
- "There's more to us than this:" A Qualitative Study of Black Young Adults' Perceptions of Media Portrayals of HIV. Corneille, Maya; Lee, Anna; Britton, Roseina; Barker, Judith C. // Journal of Health Disparities Research & Practice;2015, Vol. 8 Issue 4, p71
The extent to which the targeted group attends to and is engaged by HIV/STI prevention messages is one component of effective health communication. Through an empirical examination of the cumulative perceptions of HIV/STI prevention media messages targeted to Black youth and young adults, this...
- Engaging young adult clients of community pharmacies for HIV screening in Coastal Kenya: a cross-sectional study. Mugo, Peter M.; Prins, Henrieke A. B.; Wahome, Elizabeth W.; Mwashigadi, Grace M.; Thiong'o, Alexander N.; Gichuru, Evanson; Omar, Anisa; Graham, Susan M.; Sanders, Eduard J. // Sexually Transmitted Infections;Jun2015, Vol. 91 Issue 4, p257
Background Adults in developing countries frequently use community pharmacies as the first and often only source of care. The objective of this study was to assess the success of pharmacy referrals and uptake of HIV testing by young adult clients of community pharmacies in the context of a...
- Immunoresititution Disease in Relation to Infection with Mycobacterium avium Complex and to Leprosy. // Clinical Infectious Diseases;3/1/2001, Vol. 32 Issue 5, p845
Focuses on a study on immunoresititution disease (IRD) related to Mycobacterium avium infection. Difference of the disease with HIV-related IRD.
- Role of CD4:CD8 Ratio in Predicting HIV Co-infection in Patients with Newly Diagnosed Tuberculosis. Salazar, Robert A.; Souza, Victor L.; Khan, Abdus S.; Fleischman, Jean K. // AIDS Patient Care & STDs;Feb2000, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p79
Because of the clinical implications of Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) status on treatment of tuberculosis (TB) and in view of the low percentage of patients in whom HIV testing is performed, we evaluated immunological features of 54 patients with newly diagnosed TB and its ability to...
- Impact of Multi-Targeted Antiretroviral Treatment on Gut T Cell Depletion and HIV Reservoir Seeding during Acute HIV Infection. Ananworanich, Jintanat; Schuetz, Alexandra; Vandergeeten, Claire; Sereti, Irini; De Souza, Mark; Rerknimitr, Rungsun; Dewar, Robin; Marovich, Mary; Van Griensven, Frits; Sekaly, Rafick; Pinyakorn, Suteeraporn; Phanuphak, Nittaya; Trichavaroj, Rapee; Rutvisuttinunt, Wiriya; Chomchey, Nitiya; Paris, Robert; Peel, Sheila; Valcour, Victor; Maldarelli, Frank; Chomont, Nicolas // PLoS ONE;Mar2012, Vol. 7 Issue 3, p1
Background: Limited knowledge exists on early HIV events that may inform preventive and therapeutic strategies. This study aims to characterize the earliest immunologic and virologic HIV events following infection and investigates the usage of a novel therapeutic strategy. Methods and Findings:...
- New York State Assesses Spread of HIV. // Public Health Reports;Jan/Feb88, Vol. 103 Issue 1, p100
The article reports that the New York State Department of Health has tested blood specimens to determine the extent of HIV infection in the region. The blood samples collected in the double-blind study are identified by site of collection, geographic code, age, sex and ethnic code. Individuals...
- Simple colour-change HIV test developed. // TCE: The Chemical Engineer;Dec2012/Jan2013, Issue 858/859, p19
The article reports that Imperial College London researchers in England have developed a blood test that changes color to indicate the presence of HIV virus or cancer.