Delays in the diagnosis and treatment of tuberculosis patients in Vietnam: a cross-sectional study
- Scepticism at TB screening plans. // Nursing Standard;2/23/2005, Vol. 19 Issue 24, p7
The article reports that the tuberculosis (TB) experts have cast doubt on the efficacy of government's plans to bar people from entering Great Britain who are suffering from TB disease. According to the plan, all immigrants from outside the European Union who expect to stay for a year or more...
- A case of tuberculosis in a pregnant woman and review of current literature. Kwan, B. C. H.; Yu, Y.; Goldberg, H. // Obstetric Medicine (1753-495X);Dec2010, Vol. 3 Issue 4, p161
Tuberculosis (TB) in pregnancy can present with non-pulmonary symptoms, making diagnosis and treatment challenging. We present a case of TB in a pregnant woman and review current management recommendations.
- Can Malawi's poor afford free tuberculosis services? Patient and household costs associated with a tuberculosis diagnosis in Lilongwe. Kemp, Julia R.; Mann, Gillian; Simwaka, Bertha Nhlema; Salaniponi, Felix M. L.; Squire, Stephen Bertel // Bulletin of the World Health Organization;Aug2007, Vol. 85 Issue 8, p580
Objective To assess the relative costs of accessing a TB diagnosis for the poor and for women in urban Lilongwe, Malawi, a setting where public health services are accessible within 6 kilometres and provided free of charge. Methods Patient and household direct and opportunity costs were ...
- Can DOT improve treatment-seeking behavior of TB patients? Paliwal, Rajiv // Lung India;Apr-Jun2010, Vol. 27 Issue 2, p49
The author reflects on the directly observed treatment (DOT) that would improve the treatment-seeking behavior of patients with tubercle bacillus (TB). The author examples the case of Robert Koch who was diagnosed with TB on March 24, 1882. He mentions that TB is not hard to control since it is...
- The Efficient Diagnosis of Tuberculosis. Deresinski, Stan // Infectious Disease Alert;Jul2007, Vol. 26 Issue 10, p107
In patients with suspected pulmonary tuberculosis who are unable to expectorate sputum, culture of 3 induced sputum samples, all collected on the same day, is an effective and efficient means of diagnosis.
- A Multi-Center Study to Evaluate the Performance of Phage Amplified Biologically Assay for Detecting TB in Sputum in the Pulmonary TB Patients. Changtai Zhu; Zhenling Cui; Ruijuan Zheng; Hua Yang; Ruiliang Jin; Lianhua Qin; Zhonghua Liu; Jie Wang; Zhongyi Hu // PLoS ONE;2011, Vol. 6 Issue 9, p1
Objective: To evaluate the performance of phage amplified biologically assay (PhaB) for detecting tuberculosis (TB) in sputum in the pulmonary tuberculosis (PTB) patients. Methods: Shanghai Tuberculosis Key Laboratory of Shanghai Pulmonary Hospital participated in the project in collaboration...
- Tuberculous paradoxical reaction with bone involvement. Blázquez, Daniel; Aínsa-Laguna, David; Ruíz-Contreras, Jesús // Archives of Disease in Childhood;Oct2013, Vol. 98 Issue 10, p798
The article presents a case study of a 17 year old boy suffering from the tuberculous paradoxial reaction with the involvement of bone. The boy suffered from cough, lower lobe infiltrate in the right lung with mediastinal lymphadenopathy, and a presented a positive Mantoux test. He developed an...
- Comparison of Chest Radiographic Views in Patients with Smear Positive and Smear Negative Pulmonary Tuberculosis. Ataei, Behrooz; Adibi, Atoosa; Javadi, Abbasali; Khorvash, Farzin; Farzanefar, Parisa; Kasaeian, Nazila // Journal of Isfahan Medical School;1/24/2011, Vol. 28 Issue 116, p1
Background: The present study aimed to determine and compare the frequency distribution of chest radiographic views in patients with smear positive and smear negative pulmonary tuberculosis (TB). Methods: In this cross-sectional study, 142 files of patients with smear positive and smear negative...
- Reply to Hong et al. Kim, Chang Ho; Lee, Jaehee // Clinical Infectious Diseases;Jul2014, Vol. 59 Issue 1, p142
A response from the author of the article "Is the sensitivity of the QuantiFERON-TB Gold In-Tube test lower than that of T-SPOT.TB in patients with miliary tuberculosis?" in a 2014 issue is presented.