The association of self-esteem, depression and body satisfaction with obesity among Turkish adolescents
- Psychopathology and its effect on treatment compliance in pediatric obesity patients. Taner, Yasemen; Törel-Ergür, Ayça; Bahçıvan, Gülbağ; Gürdag, Mahinur // Turkish Journal of Pediatrics;Sep/Oct2009, Vol. 51 Issue 5, p466
Obesity is a common health problem in children and adolescents and has life-threatening physical complications as well as psychological consequences, including negative self-image, low self-esteem and social difficulties. Psychiatric disorders, especially depression and anxiety disorders, are...
- Self-Reported Psychosocial Health in Obese Patients before and after Weight Loss. Osei-Assibey, G.; Kyrou, I.; Kumar, S.; Saravanan, P.; Matyka, K. A. // Journal of Obesity;2010, p1
Psychosocial profiles were examined in 255 morbidly obese patients attending a hospital service offering access to standard weight loss therapies. 129 patients were reassessed after at least 6-month follow-up. At baseline, 51.8% and 32.7% of patients, respectively, had evidence of anxiety and...
- Do Depression, Self-Esteem, Body-Esteem, and Eating Attitudes Vary by BMI Among African American Adolescents? Witherspoon, Dawn; Latta, Laura; Wang, Yan; Black, Maureen M. // Journal of Pediatric Psychology;Nov2013, Vol. 38 Issue 10, p1112
Objective To examine how psychosocial factors vary by body weight and gender among African-American adolescents. Methods A community sample of 235 low-income, predominantly African-American adolescents completed measures of depression, self-esteem, body-esteem, and eating attitudes. Measured...
- The growing problem of childhood obesity. // U.S. News & World Report;10/16/95, Vol. 119 Issue 15, p18
Discusses how children, like grown-ups, are getting heavier. Report from the National Center for Health Statistics which shows that the number of overweight youth has doubled; Tips for fighting obesity.
- Secular trends in overweight and obesity among Finnish adolescents in 1977-1999. Kautiainen, S.; Rimpela, A.; Vikat, A.; Virtanen, S.M. // International Journal of Obesity & Related Metabolic Disorders;Apr2002, Vol. 26 Issue 4, p544
Studies trends in overweight and obesity among adolescents in Finland between 1977 and 1999. Age range; Linear increase of obesity and overweight in all age groups; Comparison of body mass index between boys and girls; Comparison of obesity prevalence between girls and boys.
- Mental health issues among adults with obesity. Chaudhari, Vaishali; T. G., Rejani // Indian Journal of Health & Wellbeing;2015, Vol. 6 Issue 7, p684
Obesity and overweight have become a global epidemic, and it is still increasing in both industrialized and developing countries. Aim of this study was to find level of depression, anxiety, stress and self-esteem among adults with obesity Study design was cross sectional survey. Purposive...
- TEENAGE WAISTLAND. // Joe Weider's Muscle & Fitness;May2004, Vol. 65 Issue 5, p48
Presents statistics on six countries with the highest percentages of teenagers who were overweight, as reported in the periodical "Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine." United States; Ireland; Denmark.
- Depression, self-esteem, and complex attributions for life problems. Flett, Gordon L.; Blankstein, Kirk R. // Current Psychology;Fall94, Vol. 13 Issue 3, p263
Focuses on the relationship between depression, self-esteem, and complex attributions for life problems. Depression and attributional complexity; Depression and complex attributions for personal events.
- Who's dying to be thin? Hannah, LouRedia // Essence (Essence);Oct97, Vol. 28 Issue 6, p172
Opinion. Presents the author's view on self-esteem of fat people. Impressions of other people to the author's body profile; Survey findings of Thomas Cash of Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Virginia on percentage of fat people; Why other fat women take slimming pills.