Washing our hands of the congenital cytomegalovirus disease epidemic
- A SHOT SHORTAGE? Carmichael, Mary // Newsweek;9/30/2002, Vol. 140 Issue 14, p68
Reports on the shortages in childhood vaccines in the United States as of September 2002. Indication that schools are relaxing immunization requirements for incoming students, and more than 40 states are rationing doses; Scarcity of PCV-7, or Prevnar, which prevents pneumococcal pneumonia and...
- Mover & Shaker. Connery, Ana // Parenting School Years;Aug2012, Issue 266, p10
The author discusses issues surrounding the health of children and the problems of obesity that is affecting children in the U.S. She relates how growing up on junk and Cuban foods had an effect on how she sees healthy foods. The author's efforts in making sure her child gets to eat healthy...
- Children's hour. Walsh O'Beirne, Kate // National Review;7/29/1991, Vol. 43 Issue 13, p34
Analyzes the report `Beyond Rhetoric' released by the bipartisan National Commission on Children, chaired by Senator Jay Rockefeller (D.-W.Va.). Mixed findings, that portray American children as largely happy and healthy as well as in dire straits and neglected; Proposed solutions.
- Study Finds Many Children Aren't Getting Needed Vaccines. // Chain Drug Review;2/18/2013, Vol. 35 Issue 4, p62
The article presents information on a study related to children health that shows that the children in the U.S. are not getting needed vaccines to fight diseases like measles, mumps and rubella.
- Benefit or betrayal? Howell, Shea // Michigan Citizen;6/1/2014, Vol. 36 Issue 30, pA1
The article focuses on the report released by the Casey Foundation entitled "Race for Results" which shows that children in the U.S. are affected by the deepening poverty, and health and educational disparities in the country particularly the African American, Latino, and Native heritage.
- THE QUESTION I'M ALWAYS ASKED... // Good Housekeeping;Nov2012, Vol. 255 Issue 5, p114
The article provides an answer to a question about health concerns related to children's use of hand sanitizer products.
- Understanding the Causes & Cures of Childhood Diseases - Part II. Rogers, Sherry A. // Journal of Pediatric Dental Care;2003, Vol. 9 Issue 1, p26
The article discusses the chemicals that cause illnesses in children. It explains that there are minuscule examples of the multitude of daily chemicals, heavy metals, plasticizers and other environmental endocrine disruptors that will damage the children's mood, memory, intelligence, and other...
- Efficacy of two artemisinin combination therapies for uncomplicated falciparum malaria in children under 5 years, Malakal, Upper Nile, Sudan. Van den Broek, Ingrid; Amsalu, Ribka; Balasegaram, Manica; Hepple, Pamela; Alemu, Engudaye; Hussein, El Badri; Al-Faith, Muhammed; Montgomery, Jacqui; Checchi, Francesco // Malaria Journal;2005, Vol. 4, p14
Background: The treatment for Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Sudan has been in process of change since 2003. Preceding the change, this study aimed to determine which artemisinin-based combination therapies is more effective to treat uncomplicated malaria in Malakal, Upper Nile, Sudan....
- Preventing Heart Disease. // Medical Update;2003, Vol. 29 Issue 1, p5
Focuses on the health goals recommended for preventing heart disease in children.