The family as a determinant of stunting in children living in conditions of extreme poverty: a case-control study
- Low blood protein may mean infection, not malnutrition. // Agricultural Research;Mar1998, Vol. 46 Issue 3, p27
Discusses the study done by the Children's Nutrition Research Center and the University of the West Indies on malnutrition in Jamaica. Findings on the causes of malnutrition in the area; Significance of the study.
- Poverty in a Land of Plenty. Virag, Karen // Just in Time (17032962);Dec2011, Vol. 8 Issue 1, p1
The article discusses the poverty situation in Alberta. It states that children from poor families tend to do worse in school due to many other negatives that are associated with poverty particularly with malnutrition in young children. It notes that community life is stronger when income gaps...
- Factors affecting malnutrition in children and the uptake of interventions to prevent the condition. Tette, Edem M. A.; Sifah, Eric K.; Nartey, Edmund T. // BMC Pediatrics;11/19/2015, Vol. 15, p1
Background:Malnutrition is a major cause of child morbidity and mortality. There are several interventions to prevent the condition but it is unclear how well they are taken up by both malnourished and well nourished children and their mothers and the extent to which this is...
- Risk Factors for Severe Acute Malnutrition in Children under the Age of Five Year in Sukkur. Jamro, Bahawaluddin; Junejo, Arbab Ali; Lal, Shankar; Bouk, Ghulam Rasool; Jamro, Saifullah // Pakistan Journal of Medical Research;Oct2012, Vol. 51 Issue 4, p111
Background: Severe acute malnutrition (SAM) affects approximately 13 million children under the age of 5 year and is associated with 1-2 million preventable child deaths per year. Objectives: To determine the risk factors for severe acute malnutrition in children under the age of five year....
- A Study on Nutritional and Immunization Status of Under Five Children in an Urban Slum of Bhubaneswar, Odisha. Patnaik, Lipilekha; Pattanaik, Sumitra; Venkata Rao, E.; Patnaik, Sibabratta; Sahu, Trilochan // Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development;Jul-Sep2013, Vol. 4 Issue 3, p176
Background: According to National Family Health Survey - 3 (NFHS-3, 2005-2006), in India, percentage of children (under 3 years) who are stunted are 38 percent, wasted are 19 percent, and underweight are 46 percent. Objectives: To assess the nutritional and immunization status among under 5...
- Hypophosphatemia in malnourished children during refeeding. Worley, Gordon; Claerhout, Susan J.; Combs, Stephen P. // Clinical Pediatrics;Jun1998, Vol. 37 Issue 6, p347
Examines hypophosphatemia in malnourished children during refeeding. Cause of morbidity and mortality in adolescents with anorexia nervosa; Need for rehabilitation in hospital; Symptoms associated with hypophosphatemia.
- (POVERTY) Feds Publish New Child Well-Being Statistics. // Children & Youth Funding Report;8/7/2009, p22
The article reports that a U.S. federal task force on child well-being, the Federal Interagency Forum on Child and Family Statistics, has published new data which showed that 18% of children lived in poverty in 2007, up from 17% in 2006. The report which tracks other private foundation data show...
- CUTBACKS THREATEN ARGENTINA'S CHILDREN-AND FUTURE. Gaudin, Andres // NACLA Report on the Americas;Jul/Aug2002, Vol. 36 Issue 1, p34
Reports on the increasing number of malnourished children in Argentina. Signs of malnutrition; Estimated number of Argentines that are now living before the poverty line; Information on the study conducted by the Center for Medical and Clinical Education.
- Relationship between food aid and acute malnutrition following an earthquake. Hossain, S. M. Moazzem; Maggio, David M.; Sullivan, Kevin M. // Food & Nutrition Bulletin;Dec2009, Vol. 30 Issue 4, p336
Background. The relationship between food aid and acute malnutrition among children under 5 years of age was assessed in northern Pakistan following the 2005 earthquake. Methods. Separate cross-sectional household-based surveys were performed in Mansehra and Muzaffara bad districts. Probability...