Health promotion through self-care and community participation: Elements of a proposed programme in the developing countries
- Healthy lifestyle incentives should be built into reform. // Modern Healthcare;3/7/94, Vol. 24 Issue 10, p70
Editorial. Points out the lack of emphasis of President Bill Clinton's health care reform plan on patient responsibility. Conduct of wellness programs and prevention techniques.
- Grand Challenges in Global Health: Community Engagement in Research in Developing Countries. Tindana, Paulina O.; Singh, Jerome A.; Tracy, C. Shawn; Upshur, Ross E. G.; Daar, Abdallah S.; Singer, Peter A.; Frohlich, Janet; Lavery, James V. // PLoS Medicine;Sep2007, Vol. 4 Issue 9, pe273
The authors argue that there have been few systematic attempts to determine the effectiveness of community engagement in research.
- EFFECTIVENESS OF ADULT VACCINATION PROGRAMS IN FAITH-BASED ORGANIZATIONS. Daniels, Nicholas A.; Juarbe, Teresa; Moreno-John, Gina; Pérez-Stable, Eliseo J. // Ethnicity & Disease;Winter2007 Supplement 1, Vol. 17, p15
The article focuses on the effectiveness of adult vaccination programs in faith-based organizations (FBOs). Partnerships between academic institutions and FBOs are a common means for implementation of health programs such as adult vaccination promotion and others. Moreover, FBOs are eager to...
- St. Lucia supports healthy living. Springer, Bevan // New York Amsterdam News;6/9/2011, Vol. 102 Issue 23, p14
The article reports on the participation of the Caribbean isle of Saint Lucia to catering the demands for vacations that promote healthy lifestyles through health and wellness retreat in SoufriÃ¨re, Saint Lucia.
- Self-assessed health and its aspects in the case of Mongolia. Gan-Yadam, Amarsanaa; Shinohara, Ryoji; Sugisawa, Yuka; Tanaka, Emiko; Watanabe, Taeko; Hirano, Maki; Tomisaki, Etsuko; Morita, Kentaro; Onda, Yoko; Kawashima, Yuri; Toketake, Kentaro; Mochizuki, Yukiko; Nanba, Mayumi; Anme, Tokie // Health (1949-4998);Jul2012, Vol. 4 Issue 7, p415
Self health assessment is a simple indicator that is widely used for measuring an individual's perception of his or her overall health. Many studies have been conducted by way of showing which particular aspects should be included in health self assessment, especially in developed world. In the...
- Patient education important for patient health. Spaeth, George L. // Ocular Surgery News;9/10/2011, Vol. 29 Issue 17, p32
The article offers ideas on improving patient health through education. It notes the important role of doctors in patient education. It cites critical thinking, bias analysis and appropriate skepticism as some of the methods for learning. It points out that being a good patient is one of the...
- Ditching the dependency culture. Richards, Sara // Primary Health Care;Oct2010, Vol. 20 Issue 8, p6
The article discusses a white paper released by the British National Health Service (NHS), entitled "Self Care: An Ethical Imperative Self Care Campaign 2010)." The paper highlighted the amount of time and money that inappropriate use of primary care health services are costing the agency. In...
- People with long term conditions take control of their lives. // Primary Health Care;Nov2010, Vol. 20 Issue 9, p5
The article reports that the Long Term Conditions Alliance Scotland has launched a campaign which aims to promote self-management among people with long-term conditions in 2012.
- Structured patient education: the X-PERT Programme. Deakin, Trudi; Whitham, Claire // British Journal of Community Nursing;Sep2009, Vol. 14 Issue 9, p398
The article focuses on the X-PERT Programme developed due to frustration that diabetes services in Great Britain were not equipping diabetics with the skills to self-manage their condition. It meets the criteria for structured patient education, including philosophy, structured curriculum and...