Medical care usage and self-rated mental health
- CHI report condemns care of vulnerable older people. McMillan, Ian // Mental Health Practice;Nov2003, Vol. 7 Issue 3, p4
Focuses on a Commission for Health Improvement's report concerning the services for older patients of Manchester Mental Health and Social Care Trust in England. Allegations that older patients on Roward Ward were physically and emotionally abused by staff; Trust's model of nursing care in older...
- POWER TO THE PEOPLE. TOLBERT, JOCELYN // Jacksonville Magazine;Dec2014, p50
The article discusses the impact of early control in older people can improve their quality of life. According to Suzanne Lyda, director of social services at River Garden group senior services, assisting in older people on making decisions can avoid unnecessary stress in time of so much anger....
- Managing older people's alcohol misuse in primary care. Rao, Rahul; Crome, Ilana B.; Crome, Peter // British Journal of General Practice;Jan2016, Vol. 66 Issue 642, p6
The authors discuss the management of alcohol misuse among older people in primary care. Topics include barriers to assessing alcohol use and misuse including unintentional ageism, lack of energy, and stereotyping; the role of general practitioners in the assessment and intervention, housing,...
- Coping with stress: A physician's guide to mental health in aging. Solomon, Renee // Geriatrics;Jul96, Vol. 51 Issue 7, p46
Enhances primary care physicians' sensitivity to and knowledge about mental health in aging. Stress in old age; Acute and chronic losses; Psychiatric disorders; Mental health services. INSETS: CME in Geriatrics: A core curriculum for you.;Mental health professionals: Role definitions..
- Geriatric mental health emerges as care specialty. Markley, Jennifer // Inside Tucson Business;9/25/95, Vol. 5 Issue 26, p3
Reports on developments related to mental health services for senior citizens in Tucson, Arizona. Programs aimed at providing mental health care for the aged; Problems faced by mental health care providers in serving the elderly; Comments by industry leaders.
- Pictorial paradox: Reminiscence therapy for nursing home elderly. Hardison, Margaret G. // Public Health Reports;Mar/Apr94, Vol. 109 Issue 2, p178
Discusses the use of reminiscence therapy with the elderly and describes the Pictorial Paradox Intervention, (PPI) which was devised to give an added dimension to the process of reminiscence and to strengthen its effects. Use of PPI with elderly residents of a skilled nursing floor of a long...
- An interdisciplinary mental health consultation team in a nursing home. Joseph, Carol; Goldsmith, Sohyon // Gerontologist;Dec95, Vol. 35 Issue 6, p836
Features the Mental Health Consultation Team (MHCT) at the Portland Veterans Affairs Medical Center nursing home. Goals and techniques of the MHCT; Personnel of the MHCT; Examples of MHCT care of aged patients.
- A new service in the intermediate care of older adults with mental health problems. McNab, Lynda; Smith, Bev; Minardi, Henry A // Nursing Older People;Apr2006, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p22
This article describes the a new multidisciplinary, nurse-led service for older adults with mental health problems, the Home Treatment Team (HTT) which has just begun in the Older Adults Directorate of Central and North West London Mental Health Trust (CNWL). The team aims to provide mental...
- State Initiatives to Improve the Access of Older Adults to Behavioral Health Services. Schonfeld, Lawrence; Hedgecock, Deborah // Generations;Fall2008, Vol. 32 Issue 3, p40
Older adults with mental health and substance abuse problems are a severely underserved population. This article describes the extent of the situation and recent state initiatives designed to improve identification of disorders and increase access to behavioral health services for older adults....