Torstar Achieves Strong Growth; Education Sector Profit Lags
- Torstar Third Quarter Income Down Amid Heavy Spending On ITI. // Educational Marketer;11/08/99, Vol. 30 Issue 32, p5
Focuses on Torstar's reduced income for the third quarter due to heavy spending on its subsidiary ITI Education's American expansion program.
- Torstar's CSEP 2Q Sales Up 13.4%, But Profits Still Don't Rebound. // Educational Marketer;09/11/2000, Vol. 31 Issue 26, p6
Discusses the financial performance of Torstar's Children's Supplementary Education Publishing Division for the second quarter of 2000.
- Torstar Cuts Expected Proceeds from CESP Sale in Half. Milliot, Jim // Publishers Weekly;5/7/2001, Vol. 248 Issue 19, p10
Reports on the proceed expected by Torstar for its Children's Supplementary Education Publishing group. Effect of the lower sale proceeds of Torstar; Factor to which the improved profit performance was attributed; Reason for the decline in the direct marketing group of the company.
- Harlequin Bounces Back; CSEP Sale Near. Milliot, Jim // Publishers Weekly;3/12/2001, Vol. 248 Issue 11, p10
Reports on the increase in the operating income and revenues of Harlequin. Reason for the improvement in Harlequin; Percentage of Harlequin's North American retail sales generated by single-title releases; Overall earnings of Torstar Corp., the parent company of Harlequin.
- Harlequin Sales Increase Offset by Other Costs in Q1. // Book Publishing Report;5/8/2006, Vol. 31 Issue 18, p1
The article reports on the market performance of Harlequin Ltd., the book publishing division of Torstar Corp. in the U.S. during the first quarter of 2006. Harlequin had a slight decrease in its revenue and operating profit for the first quarter. However, Torstar said that the publisher had...
- Harlequin Profits Sag, Education Flat. Milliot, Jim // Publishers Weekly;3/13/2000, Vol. 247 Issue 11, p20
Reports on the 1999 financial results of Harlequin, a book publishing business of parent company Torstar. Reasons behind the decline in corporate profits; Sales; Percentage of increase in revenues of Torstar's supplementary education division; Amount of loss of Torstar in relation with the...
- Torstar's Book Sales Fall In First-Quarter. // Book Publishing Report;5/10/2004, Vol. 29 Issue 17, p4
Toronto-based publisher Torstar Corp. reported lower profits in its first quarter of 2004 ended March 31, primarily because of weak results in the company's Harlequin book publishing division. Torstar executives noted that a 20.3% increase in its newspaper operating profits was more than offset...
- Harlequin Challenged by Soft Mass Market In Third Quarter. // Book Publishing Report;11/8/2004, Vol. 29 Issue 43, p4
The article focuses on the financial performance of Harlequin Enterprises Ltd., the romance fiction publisher owned by Toronto-based newspaper and publishing company Torstar Corp. Revenues were $111.5 million, down 12% from the $125.5 million reported in the third quarter of the financial year...
- Harlequin's U.S. sales rose 11%, to $174 million, in '93. Milliot, Jim; Baker, John F. // Publishers Weekly;6/13/1994, Vol. 241 Issue 24, p10
Reports on the increase in Harlequin's sales in the United States in 1993 based on parent company Torstar Corp.'s annual report. Increase in operating profit; Total sales in North America; Increase in unit volume; Decline in retail unit sales; Increase in overseas sales; Diversification plans...