A prospective study of rural drinking water quality and acute gastrointestinal illness
- The quality of drinking water stored in canteens of field soldiers as a potential source of enteric diseases. Gavrieli, Benjamin; Potasman, Israel; Armon, Robert H. // Journal of Water & Health;Jun2010, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p236
Israel Defense Forces (IDF) guidelines for drinking water require the use of water only from sources that have been inspected and authorized by a medical expert. This study aimed to compare canteen water quality of two military units (infantry and armoured corps), to search for sources of...
- Lead release from new end-use plumbing components in Seattle Public Schools. Boyd, Glen R.; Pierson, Gregory L.; Kirmeyer, Gregory J.; Britton, Michael D.; English, Ronald J. // Journal: American Water Works Association;Mar2008, Vol. 100 Issue 3, p105
Field sampling and laboratory studies were conducted to investigate lead release from new end-use components used in drinking water fountains in Seattle (Wash.) Public Schools. Analysis of sequential small- volume samples collected at 22 sources found high lead concentrations in water that was...
- Acute health effects after accidental exposure to styrene from drinking water in Spain. Arnedo-Pena, Alberto; Bellido-Blasco, Juan; Villamarin-Vazquez, Jose-Luis; Aranda-Mares, Jose-Luis; Font-Cardona, Nuria; Gobba, Fabriziomaria; Kogevinas, Manolis // Environmental Health: A Global Access Science Source;2003, Vol. 2, p6
Objectives: We studied subjective health symptoms in a population accidentally exposed to high styrene concentrations in drinking tap water. The contamination occurred during the reparation of a water tank. Methods: Residents of 27 apartments in two buildings using the contaminated water were...
- Quantification of uncertainty in microbial dataâ€”reporting and regulatory implications. Emelko, Monica B.; Schmidt, Philip J.; Roberson, J. Alan // Journal: American Water Works Association;Mar2008, Vol. 100 Issue 3, p94
Microorganisms such as Cryptosporidium are enumerated by techniques that are susceptible to considerable losses, resulting in highly variable recoveries. This research quantified the methodological uncertainties in microbial concentration and removal data to demonstrate the effects of organism...
- Difficult year for drinking water, says DWI. // ENDS (Environmental Data Services);Jul2008, Issue 402, p15
The article reports on the deteriorating drinking water quality standards of water companies in England and Wales. According to the Drinking Water Inspectorate (DWI), incidents affecting the quality of drinking water in both England and Wales also rose for the fourth consecutive year in 2007,...
- Changes flow for industry. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;06/23/97, Vol. 238 Issue 25, p11
Reports on the failure of the Safe Drinking Water Act to address problems on water contamination. Need to develop a list of contaminants to regulate; Surface and groundwater protection campaign launched by the Clean Water Action group.
- Quality of Community Drinking Water and the Occurrence of Late Adverse Pregnancy Outcomes. Aschengrau, Ann; Zierler, Sally; Cohen, Amy // Archives of Environmental Health;Mar/Apr93, Vol. 48 Issue 2
Examines the correlation between the quality of community drinking water and the occurrence of late adverse pregnancy outcomes in Massachusetts. Increase in stillbirths in women exposed to chlorinated water; Prevalence of cardiovascular defects; Decrease in the incidence of neonatal deaths.
- IS YOUR DRINKING WATER SAFE? McNeece, Erin // Saturday Evening Post;Sep/Oct96, Vol. 268 Issue 5, p62
Focuses on the issue of quality in drinking water in the United States. Health consequences of poor water quality; Suggestions on how homeowners can help protect water supply; Characteristics of bottle water.
- ArcGIS-Based Rural Drinking Water Quality Health Risk Assessment. Fuquan Ni; Guodong Liu; Jian Ye; Huazhun Ren; Shangchun Yang // Journal of Water Resource & Protection;Nov2009, Vol. 1 Issue 5, p351
Aiming at the unsafe of water quality which is the core problem in rural drinking water safety, the study collected 221 water samples of rural drinking water sources in Ya'an and detected the concentrations of the carcinogen and the non-carcinogen. Based on the analysis of water environment...